Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Temperature Back to Normal

I spoke with RN Sierra when I arrived this morning. She was off yesterday, so I filled her in on why Dad did not go to the dentist for the extraction. She had also noticed that he was sounding a little hoarse this morning, I asked her to have Dr. Gries stop by when he was doing rounds. Sierra came in later to check Dad's temperature, it was normal.


The morning walk was under very clear skies! So it was dry; I saw a lot of regulars today. It started with Steph on the circle, followed by Ona & Rio about 5 minutes later. As I was completing the circle and starting down Sierra I saw Suzette; she asked me if I knew about the Saffron Finch (Sicalis flaveola) down by the park, she had looked it up in her bird book. Then down at the park, Dan was turning in to the parking lot as I passed by. Everyone was enjoying the dry, sunny morning!
I think I saw Venus as I was getting ready to leave the house.
Full moon visible at the start of my walk.
Eight minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Twenty-three minutes past sunrise on Sierra. I talked to a lot of people this morning.
This is Jake. He lives next door to Kelly & Abby.
Popokilani wanted to be inside the physical therapy building.

Dad was asleep in front of his breakfast; he had not touched a thing before I arrived. When I got up he still sounded froggy but he said his throat did not hurt any more. He ended up only drinking about 120 ml of Breeze.

It's official! We will be doing the Pineapple Run 10K in May! I emailed yesterday and found out that I can walk instead of run. I mentioned it to Steph when I saw her this morning, she's going to talk to Lauren; they might join us for the Pineapple Run! I think I will look for a walk I can do every quarter so I can keep challenging my body; I think I will keep it at 6 to 8 mile events for this year. Although if I could find a very, very, very short run ...
Pineapple Run 10K route. (Screen shot from Pineapple Run website.)

I talked to Brenda today; she is one of the administrators at Maunalani. She and several members of her church walk the Great Aloha Run; she has done it several times already. It turns out she crossed the finish line about a minute ahead of us! She also had seen the early accident at the GAR; it was a woman who tripped over one of the road turtles! I also talked to CNA Eena today, she is going to see if she can walk the Pineapple Run 10K with us!

My mid-morning walk was very sunny and there was no breeze. Due to all the precipitation we have been having it has been a welcomed change, though I can see it quickly becoming too hot for me. I saw Marcus driving up for his shift at Maunalani; I will have to check in and see how he is doing with his walking.


Dr. Gries stopped by before lunch. He listened to Dad's lungs and put in orders for a chest x-ray and blood tests. The x-ray technician came by in the afternoon, the blood will be drawn first thing tomorrow morning.

Lunch today was Pork tofu, Steamed rice, Peas & carrots, Garden salad, Macaroon bar, and Chicken gumbo soup. Dad did not eat any lunch either, he just drank about 60 ml Breeze. Once again, he slept most of the time.


For my afternoon walk I decided to begin exploring the Mau'umae Trail; I wanted to find out where the bench was. I have heard there is a good view of the sunset from the bench. Unfortunately I didn't find the bench; I thought the app on my phone said I had gone 0.7 miles when it was actually telling me I had 0.7 miles more until I reached 1 mile! That's what happens when I don't use my reading glasses! In my defense, that was the first time I checked the app out to see how how much distance I had gone so I was thinking in that mode rather than in the "how much more do I have to go" mode. It looks like I can change the units to 0.1 mile increments rather than 1 mile increments for my next attempt at finding the bench; it would then let me know when I have completed each 0.1 mile segment. I think I was really close, as I was leaving this guy was coming in with his dog, he kind of pointed out which rise it was on the other side of; I think that was the rise I had stopped at. All total it took me 35 minutes to go as far as I had and get back to Maunalani so it appears I could at least get out to the bench and back in my usual time frame. But if I leave it for my last walk after Curtis arrives, I could take more time to get out to the bench and check things out.

The white sign is for what's inside the fence.
You have to squeeze past some old stumps at the start of the trail.
It opens up past the stumps. There is a house on the right side.
At the end of the fences. I don't remember the trail being so full of roots.
Looking off to the right after the end of the fences.
At the end of the forested area.
Looking easterly down in to the valley to the east of Maunalani.
These cacti were along the edge of the area where I stopped to take the previous photo. I think they are Stapelia sp.
Further down the trail. I don't remember the trail being so rutted.
Looking northwesterly at Palolo Valley.
This is from the same spot as the above photo, but looking straight ahead along the trail.
This is from the same spot as above, but looking to the east.

At the end of the trail seen above. Still no bench.
This is what's on the other side of the end of the trail above.
The bench is apparently just "down the trail" from here.

Dinner today was Sweet & sour chicken, Brown rice, Steamed corn, Gingerbread, and Vegetable Florentine soup. Dad ate about 1/2 of his half an egg salad sandwich and half of his gingerbread; he drank 240 ml of Breeze.


I noticed this as I was finishing my dinner. I think I will not go on the Mau'umae Trail if I am going to be coming back in to the building. I forgot how much material my boots can track in; Thelma doesn't need me to be making more work for her! Auwe! I also noticed that my knees were a little uncomfortable. Due to the steepness of some parts of the trail when I was returning I had to have all of my weight on one knee while I lifted my entire body weight on that knee. I can feel a little "something" in my left knee that I injured in September 2017 when I was trying to lift Dad when he fell in the yard; I slipped on the wet grass & twisted my knee. Then I reinjured it a couple months later in November when I was climbing up a bulkhead and had all my weight on that knee.


Generally, when I get a phone call in Dad's room, I walk out to the 2nd floor landing so that I don't disturb anyone. I got a call after dinner, so I went out to the landing; I accidentally locked my self out. While waiting for someone to let me in I saw what looked like a painting on the wall.
This is actually an opening in the wall looking southerly towards Leahi and the easterly edge of Waikiki.

My knees started to get a little uncomfortable as I sat still; it was a familiar feeling. I decided to get more collagen to help rebuild the cartilage in my knees. I'm not sure how long it will take to build more cushioning in my knees; I'm thinking once a month I will try the Mau'umae Trail and see how they feel.
Collagen Peptides from the Vitamin Shoppe.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Chris, Gus & Rebecca!

No comments:

Post a Comment