Sunday, February 10, 2019

It's Relative

I know it isn't really cold here, but to people who live here it is colder than normal. When I arrived at Maunalani this morning my car said it was 59 degrees F; I'm not sure how cold it got last night. In Washington the coldest period was around 2 am; based on the Aix weather app I have on my phone it appears to be around 5 am here. CNA Amelia said it was 57F when she got here at 5:30 this morning. A lot of the staff & residents are wearing sweaters, sweatshirts, and hoodies; Uncle Larry is wearing long pants and a watch cap. I am wearing my favorite flannel shirt, not so much because I'm feeling the cold but more because I get hot & sweaty after walking and I don't want the evaporating sweat to chill me.


This morning it was overcast and the wind had picked up considerably; it's coming in from the northwest as predicted. It was so windy the safety cones were being blown over and on a couple of stretches of my walk where the street is aligned with the prevailing wind I felt like I was going to get pushed backwards by some gusts! And I saw some wet weather blowing over the ocean as I was doing my cool down stretches. LaVie was the only regular I saw this morning; she was walking Tazzie by the park.
Three minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Fourteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Safety cones blown off of the manhole covers being stored alongside the road.
Rainstorm over the ocean.

Dad's fried egg sandwich this morning still had the crust on and it was cut up in pieces. I will have to check in with the charge nurse and have them remind the kitchen to remove the crust and I will also have to remind Dad's CNA not to cut his sandwich up so it's easier for him to handle. He had not touched any of his sandwich but he drank about 180 ml of the Breeze.

It was drizzling a half hour before I was to start my mid-morning walk; I kept watching the weather to see what it would do. Then the sun came out about 10 minutes before my walk time, so I quickly changed and got ready to walk. If this was in western Washington it might have been a "sucker hole" but I have never seen that here. My walk turned out to be half sunny, half in shadow, and almost all very windy! I kept an eye on the Norfolk Island pine on Lurline as I walked by; in the winds last week it dropped a branch sometime before my walk. I am wondering which side of the street would be the safer side to walk on; if I walk on the left side a branch could fall on me when the wind is not blowing, on the right I could get hit by a branch that is being blown off by a gust! The branch that was dropped last week was on the left side right underneath the tree.

Left? Or right? Which side would you walk on?

Since there were hardly any birds flying, I noticed some other things. Like the new house being built at the bottom of Lurline. It stands quite high in the air in order to get a view over the house in front of it. Because of that we had been wondering if it was going to block the view of the house behind it; from what I saw today it seems like they kept that in mind and built a flat-roofed house to minimize blocking the view.


During my mid-morning walk I also smelled something that was reminiscent of red alder smoke; red alder is one of the more common trees used as firewood in Washington and is a primary choice for smoking salmon. I never did find the source of the smoke but I did begin to notice the number of homes with chimneys! I also saw a chimney that was probably designed and/or built by someone who did not know much about chimneys
Good chimney design.
Not so good chimney design. It is fortunate that our climate does not make using a fireplace in the winter a necessity.

Lunch today was Pork tofu, Steamed rice, Tossed salad, Stir fry vegetable blend, Caramel cheesecake, and Garden vegetable soup. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter and jelly sandwich but didn't touch the caramel cheesecake. He drank about 240 ml of Breeze.


During the time I would normally do my afternoon walk I went over to Kelly's house instead to do some work on the invasive Australian tree fern. I wanted to trim off 3 fronds that had mature sori; since it may be a while before we remove it I wanted to limit the number of spores it was dropping. When I got there I found that the wind had torn off 4 fronds; they appeared to be growing fairly upright judging by the broken stumps that remained. Only 2 of the fronds were ones which I was going to remove; I left the 3rd one so the tree fern wouldn't look so sparse. I will remove it when the emerging frond is totally unfurled.
Invasive fern with broken fronds scattered around base.
The green sori on the frond on the left are immature; the brown sori on the frond on the right are mature.

I have always wondered how people could accidentally send a text to the wrong person, like a cheater sending a text to their partner rather than the person they are seeing on the sly. I did that today; the errant texting, not the cheating. I had sent a text to Kelly to let him know I was going to be working on the fern. About an hour later I discovered I had actually sent the text to Elena! 😳

I wasn't going to eat dinner at Maunalani tonight because I need to finish off 2 bags of salad that are about to expire, but I wanted to see what "Vietnamese shacken beef" was; I think they really meant "Vietnamese shaking beef" aka Thit Bo Luc Lac. The other items on the menu were Brown rice, Midori mixed veggies, Strawberry mousse, and Chicken & dumplings soup. Dad ate all of his 1/2 egg salad sandwich but did not care for the taste of the strawberry mousse; he drank half of his Boost Plus supplement.


CNA Chivas helped Dad with brushing his teeth after he was done with dinner. Initially he asked Dad if he wanted to do it himself; Dad said no. I am hoping he will get in to this being part of his night time routine before he goes to sleep.


I was going to walk after Dad was asleep. As it turned out I left right after the teeth brushing. But it started o drizzle as I walked to the car so I decided to skip it. And it was already about 20 minutes after civil twilight, which also made it 4 minutes after nautical twilight. Like last night it was also 61 degrees F and once again the air conditioning in the car was feeling warm!


The newspapers were still fairly much in place. I may have to get sneaky and tempt S'mores in to making a leap for the counter; I had moved the chairs away when I 1st set it up but I might have moved them too far away. I need to place the chairs just far enough away to make it possible to get to the newspaper but not so close that a leap would have her land on the solid counter. Animal behavior experiment in progress!

I ate another dinner; as in a bag of salad for dinner. It felt like I had not eaten dinner at Maunalani. Why am I so hungry?

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Stan & cousin Eileen!

No comments:

Post a Comment