Monday, February 4, 2019

Two Weeks to GAR

The Great Aloha Run is now 2 weeks away. I have not been able to do more than 5 miles per day since I started. During the week of 11/18 when I tried to do 5 miles per day every day for a week, I found I was too tired the following days. I think the fatigue is due to the fibromyalgia still impacting my ability to recover normally after physical exertion. I decided to try 5 miles per day every other day but even after 3 weeks I found that I was still fatigued. So I dropped back to just under 5 miles per day since then. I suffered a mild setback on 01/12 when I got sick and didn't walk for 3 days. When I started up again I kept it to about 1.5 miles per day for a week, then worked myself back up to just under 5 miles per day. Hopefully doing the nearly 5 miles per day in 3 parts has given my body the workout it needs to be able to finish the 8.2 miles all at once for the Great Aloha Run. I plan on sleeping for the remainder of the day of the GAR to recharge so I can be back up at Maunalani with Dad.
Screen shot from Great Aloha Run website.

During my morning walk I ran in to Steph just as I was leaving the parking lot; she had started at 6 and was on her way back home. Shortly after that I ran in to Alex & Satin and had a great conversation with him. He does theater as well as works at the University of Hawai'i; he helps coordinate theater people to help with scenarios to help train UH dental/medical students. Later I saw Lorraine; she usually only walks on the weekend but decided to walk this morning also.
Three minutes before sunrise on Maunalani; I was delayed talking to regulars.
Fourteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

Dad ate half of his fried egg sandwich and drank all of his Boost Plus & half of the Boost Breeze. Then he took a nap.

The mid-morning walk was great! I saw Chona by the park; at first I did not recognize her since it has been a while since I saw her and Mero & Jellie were not with her. She had just run up part of Wilehelmina Rise! She started by running down to Coffee Talk, then made her way back up; she was doing her cool down stretches and was getting ready to head home. It was great to see her again.


Before lunch CNA Jessa weighed Dad; he is now 145 pounds! Alyssa the dietician wants him to be between 130 and 140; since he's eating more solid food now, we decided that we need to cut back on the Boost supplements. We'll be doing 1 Boost Breeze (which we call "juice") at breakfast and lunch, and 1 Boost Plus (which we call "milk") at dinner. I let RN Supervisor Remy and the other RNs on the floor about this change.


Since Dad needed to be in the wheelchair for us to get his weight, I hijacked him and took him out to the lanai for lunch; we were the only ones there today. Lunch today was Seafood pasta primavera, Succotash, Garlic bread, Tossed salad, Peach cream cake, and French onion soup. Obviously there was no garlic bread; but that's okay, I am looking at reducing my intake of carbs. Dad did not eat any solid food or drink his Breeze supplement, he just wanted to sleep.



My afternoon walk was back to normal, i. e., the hottest out of my 3 walks. When I went out to the 2nd floor landing to do my cool down stretches there was a long-haired guy sitting at the table just finishing up a locomoco for lunch; he had 2 lei on so I said, "You must be visiting. Welcome!" It turns out Kyle had a arrived a couple hours earlier and is RN Sarahʻs friend that she had been telling me about! They are planning on hiking the Mauʻumae Trail before Kyle leaves.


On my way out of Maunalani it rained as soon as I got in to the car! This is the type of rain that I like when I am walking, one that helps to cool me down when it is hot and sunny out.


On the news they highlighted KoleaGold, a drone company that is teaching students how to pilot drones in ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi. Right now they have the program only at Anuenue School but propose to have it in all Hawaiʻi schools.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Karen, Crilly, & Ben!

No comments:

Post a Comment