Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Dad Is Eating More

This morning when I arrived Dad was happily eating his fried egg sandwich; he finished the entire sandwich! He also ate all except a few pieces of papaya! CNA Jessa said to consider it 100%. Of course, his increased appetite might just be due to the fact that he had a restless night and kept trying to get out of bed so he burned up some calories.
Dad finished off the whole fried egg sandwich and banana.
He almost finished all the papaya and drank all the Breeze.

The temperature when I arrived was lower than yesterday but 1 degree warmer than Sunday. My morning walk started out wet; I used the poncho for the first 5 minutes or so. Then the rain tapered off to a drizzle, then there was nothing so I took the poncho off. A couple times on the way down to the park it started to drizzle again so I put the poncho on only to take it off minutes later when it stopped. So I decided I would only put it back on when it got to the point that I would seek shelter if I did not have the poncho with me; which turned out to be no more times for the rest of my walk. I did not see any of the regulars today. Or any other walkers at all. Just me out in the weather; but I decided I need to walk at least twice for each of the remaining days in spite of the weather since the GAR is now only 5 days away!

Five minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eleven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

As I was doing my cool down stretches there was a downpour! I definitely would have put the poncho on for it. Dan had driven into the parking lot just before it started; he stayed in his car until it slowed down about 10 minutes later. It was about the time I was done with my cool down stretches, too, so I took advantage of the break to go in to the building.

Too much rain to see Leahi.

Sometimes I am a little slow on figuring out solutions to my problems. I had a Eureka! moment this morning; I figured out that I can put my Fitbit on the shelf with my face wash & moisturizer when I am in the downstairs bathroom so that I don't drop it any more. Duh! I've dropped it twice on the tile floor, but never in any of the other bathrooms.
Why didn't I think of this before?
My poncho. I used to balance the Fitbit on my fanny pack.

It was relatively dry for the rest of the morning and even sunny for a part of it, though it was somewhat windy. But I ended up skipping the mid-morning walk; I was listening to an introductory webinar about cooking methods. It is the "gateway" to a longer webinar cooking class; I think I will sign up for it since it is available on my time frame, 24/7 for my lifetime. I have always wanted to learn how to cook better; I think this might be helpful. He teaches methods rather than recipes. Now I need to find an on-line watercolor class like that!


I found the cooking webinar because I was on Facebook checking on friends & acquaintances in snowy places. I discovered one of them is here on vacation! I might get to see John & his wife later this weekend; I'm hoping we can find a mutual time to get together!

Lunch today was Kalua pork with cabbage, Steamed rice, Tossed salad, Bread pudding, and Chicken gumbo soup. There was no soup on my tray but I usually don't eat the soup. And the bread pudding was interesting, I've never seen one like it before; it did not appear to be made of individual cubes of bread baked together. It was more like a very dense, almost glutinous, banana bread with raisins. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter and jelly sandwich but none of the bread pudding; he drank about 120 ml of the Breeze.


Because I skipped the mid-morning walk, I decided to do the afternoon walk so I could get in at least 2 walks today to keep in shape for the GAR. (One of my rules for walking is if there is drizzle or rain after sunset, then I don't walk, even with the safety gear.) But the weather had other ideas; about an hour before the time I start my afternoon walk it poured. It was too wet to walk even with my poncho and water-resistant shoes. But then closer to the time of my walk it slowed down, barely drizzling. I quickly changed only to find it raining again by the time I made it to the front door. I waited around and it did slow down; so I started my walk. I only made it around Maunalani Circle because it started raining harder just as I got out of site of the building. And it continued all the way around the circle. I briefly took shelter under the eaves of Chip's garage; when it eased up I walked again. Only to have it start to come down harder again! I did not hear or see any birds.
The rain at about 1:30 p.m.
The rain about 2:30 overpowering the gutters.
My afternoon reference photo; that's not really heavy rain, the lens was fogging up because of the rain.
Taking shelter at Chip's garage about 2:50, still raining heavily.

I saw a lot of silt-laden runoff coming from the Mauʻumae Trailhead as well as several construction sites on nearby properties. Since there was so much rain, when I got back to the parking lot, I jumped in the car and ran down to the ditch on Lurline to see how much water was flowing through it. I was not disappointed! No wonder that ditch was so large! When I got back to Maunalani I made sure to knock as much water off my poncho & hat as possible; I didn't want to leave any wet spots in the hallways & have the kupuna or others slip! My water-resistant shoes were wet inside because I keep forgetting that rain can drip down my legs, wetting my socks, then being wicked in to the insides of my shoes.  Auwe! The rain continued for a while after I returned, then slowed down to a drizzle until dinner time. I should have signed up for the 3 pm cooking webinar and walked at mid-morning instead. Oh, well! Hindsight is 20/20!
The Mau'umae Trailhead starts behind the surfboard in the background.
The storm grate in the upper left is covered in debris, forcing the runoff further down the road.
The runoff heads down the road towards Sierra Drive.
The ditch at the bottom of Lurline.

Dinner today was New England style beef brisket, Brown rice, Dilled baby carrots, Cran apple crisp, and Won ton soup. There were no cranberries in the cran apple crisp; not sure what other type of "cran" it might be but there did not appear to be anything other than what you would find in apple crisp. And yes, my tray did come with 2 spoons and no other utensils. Dad ate all of his 1/2 egg salad sandwich but he did not want to eat the cran apple crisp; he drank all of his Boost Plus supplement.


During dinner the weather looked great! It was dry but breezy and the setting sun gave the trees a warm glow. And although Dad was awake when the dinner cart arrived and he finished dinner by 6; the CNAs were busy feeding others so it took a while to get Dad's teeth brushed before he went to sleep. So my walk was delayed. For the most part it was a good walk, then at the farthest point I felt a few drops. It held off until about 5 minutes from the end of my walk when it began to drizzle. When I got in to the car it let loose and was raining like it had during the afternoon. The temperature had dropped back down and was cooler than it was in the morning.
Looking out the window at 6 pm.
Seven minutes past the end of nautical twilight on Maunalani.
Looking down at the main entrance to Maunalani Nursing & Rehabilitation Center from the hillside above.
The temperature a the end of my evening walk. It's going to be another brisk morning.

Pehea ke anilā? How is the weather? That's what the next lesson in DuoLingo is about, the weather. I have 2 more levels in ʻOhana before I can move on to Weather. (I just started Level 4; there are 5 levels in each category.) I don't think I already know any weather words in Hawaiian; I am looking forward to learning some so that I can share it with you! 

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Timna!

No comments:

Post a Comment