Thursday, February 14, 2019

More Karma Credits

Today was blue bin pick-up day; I closed 20 lids!


As I was on my way up to Maunalani early this morning I saw lightning from over the Koʻolau Range; as I was walking I heard distant thunder from the windward side. It was also a little cool. I took my poncho with me, I was expecting rain, but none showed up during my walk. Or afterwards when I was cooling down. I didn't see anyone walking in the morning.
Seven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Nine minutes after sunrise on Sierra.


Dad only drank about half of his Breeze; he didn't touch any solids. He ate a lot yesterday, he seems to be doing the snake thing and sleeping it off today.

The mid-morning walk looked ominous as well; lots of gray clouds covering the sky. And a steady breeze. Occasionally I would feel a couple of drops but again, no rain throughout the walk. I saw LaVie and Kila down by the park and one other guy up on the circle that I had never seen before.


While I was doing my cool down stretches out on the 2nd floor landing, I was looking out towards the Kahala Hotel and saw some ugly brown water in the nearshore area. It was the runoff from Maunalani (and probably other drainages) that had made its way to the ocean. I wondered why I didn't see it yesterday and realized it was probably because I couldn't even see Leahi yesterday through all the rain!


Lunch today was Spaghetti & meat sauce, Italian vegetable blend, Garden salad, Fresh honeydew cubes, and Cream of broccoli soup. Dad ate half of his half peanut butter & jelly sandwich but no honeydew melon; he drank all his Breeze.


It was dry when I started my afternoon walk with a light breeze. It started to drizzle right after I took my reference photo, so I put the poncho on. A short while later it just poured! I was glad I was near Chip's garage; I took shelter there again under his 3-foot wide eaves! It stopped about 5 minutes later and stayed dry for the rest of my walk.

The view from under the eaves.

On my way up Lurline I noticed that there were a couple of widowmakers in the big Norfolk Island pine near the edge of the road that started my ruminations on which side of the road to walk on. I think I shall walk on the other side of the road from this tree until they drop.


Later in my afternoon walk, on the way up Lurline, I saw a species of bird I have not seen up here before, the Chestnut Munia (Lonchura atricapilla). It is very differently marked from other urban birds; it has a black head, chestnut brown body, and a light colored bill. I was unable to get a photo of it. The thing I liked about being able to identify it is that I have never seen one before, I had only read about it, but I knew as soon as I saw it that it was a Chestnut Munia. That's what I used to do when I was learning to identify Hawaiian reef fish, so I haven't lost that skill!

It's interesting, Kelly had asked me about doing wetlands again and I was kind of negative since I would have to relearn all my plants since Washington wetland plants are not at all like Hawaiian wetland plants. When I moved to Washington, it took me about a year of working with people who knew the plants before I got so I knew what I was looking at; from there I expanded my base & learned about less common species. Learning it on my own will take longer; but it is doable. I think that's why I do the citizen science thing and also try to identify plants and birds as I do my walks. Being able to identify the Chestnut Munia today was encouraging!

Dad got into his wheelchair to go and see the Valentine's Day entertainment upstairs in the Castle Living Room. It started with Sam playing the guitar and singing. Then Kiʻini and Marissa danced several hula; they were both wearing Manaola fashions, Marissa used to work at the Manaola store. Later Chin & Susie, assisted by Eena, led the residents in dances and other exercises. Marissa & Kiʻini joined them for YMCA and the Electric Slide.
Ki'ini (L) & Marissa doing the hula.
Chin, Marissa, & Eena doing the Electric Slide.

Since Dad was in the wheelchair, he ate dinner in the Plumeria Dining Room; he finished 1/2 of his half egg salad sandwich and about 1/2 of his chocolate cake. He drank all of his Plus supplement. Dinner for me today was Misoyaki salmon, Steamed rice, Seasoned zucchini, Chocolate cake, and Won ton soup. I erroneously said the won ton soup was on yesterday's menu, it was not, it was actually garden vegetable soup; obviously I didn't eat it otherwise I would have known immediately that it wasn't won ton. I ate it tonight, it was delicious!


While eating dinner we watched the news. During the weather portion they talked about the Kona lows that are causing the cooler and wetter weather. It looks like it will be cold on Presidents Day during the Great Aloha Run. 😟


Because I was able to get all 3 of my walks done without any weather interference, I did not walk after dinner. I could have since Dad went to sleep as soon as he was back in his bed.; it was about 5:30 and there was an hour before sunset, not to mention an additional 20 minutes after that before the end of civil twilight. I think after I am done with the Great Aloha Run I will do 2 walks around the neighborhood to get in my 10,000 steps for the day. Then on the afternoon walk I think I will begin exploring the Mauʻumae Trail; I was somewhat tempted to do that tonight but I controlled myself. Going on the trail should expose me to different bird and plant species.

I talked to Brent about the Great Aloha Run; a couple months ago he had said he was going to run it. But last night he said he hasn't been training so he is going to walk; but he said he will probably walk slower than me because he walks to the beat of whatever he is listening to! Whoever gets to Aloha Stadium first will find a place to wait and text it to the other person. We will Uber back to the house, then go someplace to eat! After a hot shower I plan on sleeping for the rest of the day! 😴

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Randy, Gus, Julie, Lorena, Derick, & Angela! Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo # 20 to Roxanne & Curtis! I can still remember your wedding like it was yesterday!

No comments:

Post a Comment