Monday, November 12, 2018

Hawai'i Wildlife Center Satellite

Patrick arrived today with Nikki, the intern who will be working with any Manu-o-Ku that are found while she is here. I picked them up at the airport about noon, showed them where the Ag inspection facility is, then showed them how to get from there to the Hawaiian Air Cargo facility. We then headed to Down to Earth to meet Tani for lunch. After that we helped Tani set up the O'ahu Seabird Aid (OSA) stabilization room at the Honolulu Zoo where she will be assessing and treating any Wedgetailed Shearwaters that are brought in. Since they will be using my car for a few days while the Hawai'i Wildlife Center van is in transit, Patrick brought a magnetized logo for my car; it is almost the same color as my car!


After we organized the stabilization room, I took them up to Maunalani to see the view. Then I showed them how to get to the Humane Society where they will be picking up downed birds that people find. After that we headed to Kailua to Feather & Fur so Patrick could introduce us to some of the staff there. As we returned to Honolulu, I drove them along the route to the airport to familiarize them with the location. Since Tani had not been with us the first time, I went by the Ag inspection and Hawaiian Air Cargo areas again. Then we headed to dinner.

Since Patrick & Nikki are vegan, we went to Peace Cafe. This is one of the restaurants that Kasondra went to last year. Tani, Patrick, & I had the Katsu Don which was made with either tempeh or tofu as the katsu. Nikki had the Tex-Mex Bowl.


Because Patrick & Nikki came in at noon, I was able to be at Maunalani until lunch; I did my morning walk as usual. Like yesterday, it was blustery today also.


Dad was eating breakfast in bed again. But this time he made a sandwich out of his biscuit, scrambled eggs, & chopped bacon. I asked him if he wanted any help putting it together, he said no. He ate about 1/4 of it.


I was also able to do my mid-morning walk. The weather was still blustery with a really fine mist.


Today is Kai's birthday. Mary Ellen & Michael threw him a great birthday dinner starting with pizza from his favorite pizza place, A Pizza House, being surrounded by friends who have become his 'ohana, and ending with chocolate cake. That cake looks like its on fire, he must be really old!


L to R: Emmanuel & Amelia.
Louie.
How many candles are there?

Make a wish!
Contact juggling with cake!

Happy Birthday also to Faith & Nancy!

No comments:

Post a Comment