Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Congratulations, Mr. President!

I turned on the television about 10 hours earlier than it usually goes on in our household to watch the inauguration. It was boring. But that was okay with me.

The soon-to-be President & soon-to-be FLOTUS arrive.
The soon-to-be Vice President arrives.

A physically-distanced inauguration.
The National Guard got a front row seat to the inauguration.

Using flags to represent people was really cool.
The Pledge of Allegence was spoken as well as signed.
Kamala Harris was sworn in by Judge Sotomayor.

Senator McConnell looked like he was shocked by what was happening.
Even the swearing in was physically distanced.
History has been made!

Former Vice President Pence looks on as the new President is sworn in by Justice Roberts.

Our new President!
President Biden gives his inaugural address.



After the address the former Vice President & former Second Lady left the building.

There was a gracious & respectful conversation.

The Pences leave the secured Capital Building area.

There was a guy that I saw quite early on that was looking shifty; he was standing 2 rows behind Biden & at the end of the row. During all the prayers he had his head up & was looking around; I figured he must be a Secret Service guy. It was later confirmed when President & Mrs. Biden were leaving the inauguration area; he was walking behind & to the side of them as they went down the hallway in the Capital Building.


After the inauguration, there was a virtual "Parade Across America" showing congratulations from each of the states; there was a pule from Hawaiʻi with Mt. Kaʻala in the background.


There was also a quick notice that the new @POTUS Twitter handle was now under the control of Joe Biden. 


I'm glad they honored Pence by showing him & the former 2nd lady leaving. And I'm also glad they didn't really show Trump leaving early & doing his own thing; I thought it was rather tacky that he wanted a big send off with a 21-gun salute. I'm glad they did not give him that kind of a send-off & it was low key, like the departure of the former president usually is. I checked & to see what I did during the last inauguration. I couldn't find any entry for that day. I am pretty sure I watched it because I remember Obama very quietly leaving on Marine One.


Early this morning my phone buzzed, the AlohaSafe COVID-19 exposure app was buzzing. But it was just updating information on exposures; I had none.


I made a proothie part way through the inauguration; I used beet greens. The soymilk had separated so I had to shake it up really well this morning before I used it. I am usually better about making it after only 1 day of soaking.

 

For dinner I roasted the root vegetables from the CSA box; I had beets, hakurei, and purple turnips. I didn't realize until after they were cooked that they were red, white, & blue!

I left a space in the middle for the salmon fillet I was also cooking.

My patriotic roasted root vegetables!

The Aix weather app showed a low level of pr3cipitation both here and in Kapaʻau throughout the day.  The Tesla app looked like it was either raining all day or had a good thick cloud cover or both all day.

Rain at 10:19 am.


It looks like there might be another hot spot with lava flowing in to the lava lake at Kilauea; on the thermal image it looks like there is a new hot spot on the northerly edge. In the regular photo, the fountain on the west side looks like it also has more flow.


There is a shortage of the COVID-19 vaccine doses nationwide. Apparently, there is enough vaccine here for the 2nd shots that has been held in order to complete the vaccination of the first responders and medical personnel that were given the 1st dose in December. People that got their 1st does during the PODs I helped with were eligible for the 2nd doses beginning yesterday. According to the LG, over 86,000 people have been vaccinated; I'm not sure if he means they got both doses or only the 1st does or maybe some of each.



There were 75 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases to 24,620; it's nice to see the new case numbers decreasing. There was 1 new death reported bringing the death toll up to 325; currently 2127 cases are considered active. The 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 87 with a positivity rate of 3.1%.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Maki-san!

No comments:

Post a Comment