Thursday, January 21, 2021

STORAGE WAR$!

Not really. After I got back from work I spent time freeing up storage space on my laptop. I moved some pdf's over to a jump drive and deleted the doc files that I had converted in to pdf's. I was able to go from only 2.72 GB of free space to 5.9 GB. I still have to find more files I can either store on a jump drive or delete completely. With the additional space I was finally able to back up my laptop to my external drive; the last time I was able to do that was last March, right around the time the lock downs started.


This morning I made another beet green proothie. Because I am using more cacao powder in my proothies I don't get the nice reddish hue from the stems of the beet greens.


On the way in to work there was some police action right near the parking garage that I have been parking at. It looked like there was something going on about a block past the building the garage is in. As I got closer to the parking structure it looked like there were several more police cars in front of District Court rerouting traffic. Not sure what was going on, there was no mention of it on the news in the evening.

I was stopped at the red X, other police cars were at the blue asterisk.
At the intersection, looking northeasterly towards the police action.

I had a really cool call today while at work, a sign language interpreter called me back for one of my cases. I had called earlier and left a message for the Case, who called back through the interpreter. I asked questions in the first person as if I was on the phone with the Case rather than speaking at the interpreter. Apparently the interpreter was on a video call to the Case, she relayed my questions to the Case who responded to her and she gave me the Case's answers in the first person. As with other interpretation, the interview took a little longer; but it was still worth the extra time that it took to complete the call.

I went to Water Drop for lunch again today. It looks like they always have both a rice dish & a noodle dish every day; each also has some other items like vegetables and broth mixed in. The entrees look like they also change every day. And there are individually wrapped desserts near the register; I like them because they have less sweetener in them. According to the label on the dessert it had turmeric in it but I was not able to taste it.

These are the 4 entrees I got today.
My lunch.
The dessert looked like a pineapple!

This is the 1st time I've seen advertising on a chopstick wrapper.

As I went to sit at a table on the 2nd floor lanaʻi I did not see the Manu-o-Kū fledgling in the nest tree in the courtyard! I found it a short while later; it had flown to another tree to sit in the sun. One of the adults showed up a short while later with lunch for the fledgling.

Oh, no! The fledgling is gone!
Oh, wait. There it is in the other tree!
One of the parents has returned with food.

The fledgling (L) has taken the little fish from the adult bird.

I got an email from Marjorie later in the evening. The availability sheet for PODs in February is now open. I am making myself available for as many PODs as possible; it is one way that I know I can be proactive with reducing the impacts of the pandemic. The contact tracing helps, but mainly after the fact; vaccine administration gets in front of the issue. Successful vaccine administration will reduce the need for contact tracing; I will be happy to put myself out of a job!


The Aix weather app forecast rain here through the early afternoon; we had rain in the early morning but just clouds through about lunch. For Kapaʻau, it showed even more rain throughout the day. The graph in the Tesla app appeared to confirm that, with rain and/or cloud cover becoming heavier after lunch.

Looking easterly as I get ready to leave at 8:22.

Looking mauka at the clouds coming over the mountains at 8:26.

Another skunk stowed away and was caught at the harbor today. Last month a skunk was found in the harbor on Maui. The only other skunk found here was in 2018. The 2 earlier skunks tested negative for rabies; this current one is being tested now.


The eruption at Kilauea continues; apparently the lava lake is now nearly 700 feet deep in the western half where the lava is entering the crater. The eastern half is lower. 


Very early this morning Hawaiʻi time, there was an earthquake in Indonesia. It did not generate a tsunami.


There were 119 new cases of COVID-19 reported today, bringing the total known cases to 24,739. There were 3 new deaths, increasing the death toll to 328; currently there are 1953 cases considered to be active. The 7-day new case average for Oʻahu is 79 with a positivity rate of 2.9%.


No comments:

Post a Comment