Sunday, January 10, 2021

This Is Not a Drill

Tonight the special, This Is Not a Drill, aired. It is about the false missile alert in January 2018; I posted about it at that time. It was interesting watching the special, seeing how other people reacted to the information. It left me wondering if, perhaps, I am missing some gene so that I react less to impending doom? Or I have a gene that makes me comfortable with a higher level of risk tolerance? Or maybe I am at peace with how I live my life? Dunno. I do remember the 1st thought that went through my mind was, "That's a really stupid thing for [Kim Jong-un] to do if he wants to be a part of the Olympics." Curtis & Lori were out having breakfast; they had just ordered. Brent called to see if they had heard about the missile alert; they had. Brent asked, "Did you order bacon?" 


On my way in to work this morning I was listening to KSER's tribute to Ed Bremer who was with KSER since its beginning about 3 decades ago. Ed taught me most of what I know about producing shows for community radio; he gave us the opportunity to produce the Color Commentary program for KSER. I was using the live streaming function, it had some glitches that I think were on my end of the feed. I will have to go back and see if it is in the archives and listen to it again since I was also unable to listen to the last 15 minutes of the program. 

Listening while driving.

This is what it looks like when not in screen saver mode.
 

I worked at OmniTrak again today; Dave has me working on 4 days this week. There were 10 of us working today and about 100 new cases to be called. Today I talked to a couple of American Samoan residents who have been stranded here in Hawaiʻi. 


Today was a Fast Day so there was no morning proothie. There was also no lunch. Just water. So during the lunch break I watched the Manu-o-Kū family that is nesting in the tree in the courtyard at the building.

The nest tree is towards the right side.
The adult on the left is feeding the fledgling (middle bird).
The nest tree from street level.
The tape identifying this as a nest tree is visible from the sidewalk.

When I returned, I made another batch of soymilk; I'm getting really comfortable with all the steps. 

Yes, The Roommates got a Keurig for Christmas.

While I was making soymilk, I was also watching Ask a Mortician. I started with Recreating 19th Century Death & Mourning Photographs and kept it on autoplay for the 2 hours or so as I was making the soymilk and drying the okara


The Aix weather app forecasted a slightly wet morning here, then sunny & dry for the rest of the daylight hours; that seemed to be right. It said it was going to be really wet in Kapaʻau in the morning, then tapering off to less precip  & drying out in the late afternoon before it got wet again in the evening. The Tesla graph showed it to be drier in the morning and wetter in the afternoon than predicted (or at least cloudier).

My windshield as I got ready to leave the house.
Looking mauka at the clouds.
 

There were 200 new cases of COVID-19 reported today; bringing the total known cases to 23,341. There were also 2 new deaths reported raising the death toll to 309; currently 2152 cases considered active. The 7-day new case average on Oʻahu is 129 with a 4.1% positivity rate.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau e Bruce, Wayne, Maria, & Jacque!

No comments:

Post a Comment