Thursday, December 6, 2018

Kaimukī Christmas Parade

The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes, Nikki, & I marched with the Maunalani Nursing & Rehabilitation Center (MNRC) group for the Kaimukī Christmas Parade. The Roommate was the MNRC Santa Claus! The MNRC pickup truck was decked out in holiday spirit; they used a white tree, white accents, and tinsel so that it could be seen easier in the dusk. The Mayor got in on a couple of the group shots.
The Maunalani parade group.
Getting ready for the parade; Arceli in center in red, Czarina to right with elf ears.
A group shot with Mayor Caldwell in the center in red.
Social Services Director John taking a selfie with the group & the Mayor.
The head of the parade.
The decorated Maunalani pick-up truck.
Maunalani parade marchers ready to go. (Photo by Czar)
And theyʻre off!
At the end of the parade route. (Photo by Czar)
Shaka from Santa! (Photo by Czar)

After the parade we went to Kahala Mall; we had to turn left to get out of the place where we parked. And the mall was in that direction so went went to the Banán kiosk at the mall for some post-parade dessert.

I really like the morning walk; it is the walk with the least amount of heat & the greatest amount of shade. Things also feel more peaceful & quiet. Except for night walks. In the woods. In the snow. Those are the most peaceful & quiet walks. Well, not super quiet because of the night sounds of the woods, but there are minimal people sounds. I also noticed that the agave (or whatever it is) has also started to bloom.


Flowers begin to bloom from the bottom up.

When I went to get cleaned up and change, I dropped my Fitbit. It took about a 4 foot dive off of my fanny pack and hit the tiled floor. Itʻs tough, it still works.

Dad was awake eating in bed; I think he has been eating more these last few weeks than he has before. This morning he picked at his scrambled eggs on his own; he drank all his supplements.

I saw LaVie during my mid-morning walk. She was walking Kila only; she said she hasn't even tried to walk Tazzie. "Tazzie" is short for Tasmanian Devil, which he has been likened to; hence why LaVie is not walking him yet.


Lunch today was Spaghetti & meat sauce, Italian vegetable blend, Garden salad, Fresh honeydew cubes, and Cream of broccoli soup. Dad was given a salad so I ate his salad also; he ate none of his solid food and only about half of his supplements. His seems to eat well on one day then slack off on the next.


During my afternoon walk I found a dead Red-vented Bulbul. This one was rather intact; I think that was because it got flung to the side of the road so did not get flattened by subsequent vehicles.



As usual, for the 1st 3 walks of the day I logged about 4.9 miles. To make my 5.5 miles for the day I would need about 0.6 miles; with the parade I did 0.88 instead. I walked a total of 5.81 miles today.


I tried to use my phone to check the orientation of the site so I could come up with a mitigation design for replacing Kelly's fern. Mitigation design? Hmm, perhaps a little overkill? If I think about this as a mitigation design, then I stop thinking about it being a pilau fern. I can't believe I am getting excited about replacing this fern! I ended up using my compass; these non-cardinal-point-oriented streets really got me turned around. Yesterday I was thinking the fern was on the northerly side of the wall, it's not; it's on the easterly side. The house faces somewhat west-southwesterly; which is good news. If it was facing north that would have meant the fern would be getting full sun from the south. With the west-southwest orientation it can get more shade than it would with a due west orientation.
Looking due north at the fern. Which canʻt really be seen from here. Which is good.

I learned how to enable the Hawaiian keyboard on my Mac. Now it is much easier for me to add the kahakō to words. I have also found out I can tell the Spell Checker to ignore the Hawaiian words with the proper kahakō; it then highlights the ones without kahakō or incorrect kahakō but ignores the ones with the proper kahakō. Winner!

Happy Birthday to Susie & Christina!

No comments:

Post a Comment