Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Back at Maunalani

My sore throat is gone and my coughing has lessened significantly, so I went to Maunalani today. Uncle Larry was one of the first people I saw there; he greeted me with a big smile and said he missed me! The CNAs & nurses were happy to see me as well. Dad acted like it was just a normal day; he was eating breakfast in bed. One of the changes I know that has happened in the week & a half that I was out is that Dad is now eating his sandwich whole; we are no longer cutting it up because he picks it up and takes bites out of it.


I started my walk 9 minutes before sunrise, which will now be getting earlier. For the past 2 weeks sunrise has been at 7:11; today it was at 7:10, by the end of the month it will be at 7:09. On June 1st it will be at 5:48, then on the 13th it will begin getting later again. I saw Steph shortly after I started my walk, she was on her way back down and headed home; I also ran in to Mike & Dulci. Then I saw Suzette at her house; I had noticed that her car had not been gone on most of the days she should be working. It turns out she had injured her knee so she is not able to work; she is just going to treatments and running errands.
Ten minutes  before sunrise on Maunalani.
Fourteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Monarch Butterfly (Danaus plexipus).

I dropped my Fitbit again while I was changing out of my walking clothes. It dropped on to the tile floor again. It is a good thing the Fitbit is somewhat rugged since there is no Lifeproof-type case that I can get for it.

The mid-morning walk was not as difficult as I thought it might be; when I did the morning walk after not having done it for 3 days I was winded. But I did fine on the 1st mid-morning walk after 10 days; I guess once I got back in  to doing the loop doing it for a second time during the day wasn't much different.


It looks like one of the people on Maunalani Circle is getting rid of one of the invasive African Tulip Trees that is on their property. I saw them starting on it during my mid-morning walk; by the afternoon walk it looked like it was down.
The African Tulip Tree is the one in the middle with the large orange flowers.


Dr. Sylvester called while I was doing my cool down stretches. She said there was a problem with the report they got from VERC yesterday. Apparently there was a computer glitch and some data was lost. Dr. Sylvester talked with Dr. North from VERC; they concur with Chibi's current treatment. Dr. North is requesting that the pathologist do a few more slides of the growth she removed from Chibi. I picked Chibi up after lunch. Later in the evening I isolated her in the bathroom; I tried to keep her in my room but she kept crawling under the bed.
On her way home.
On the bed, breathing hard.

Lunch was Honey glazed chicken, Steamed rice, Mixed vegetables, Tossed salad, Chocolate cake, and French onion soup. Based on what Curtis said, I did not cut Dad's sandwich; he ate all of it! But he didn't touch the chocolate cake.


The afternoon walk was warmer than either of the others as usual.


After I left Maunalani I went to Kelly's house; he had suggested putting in most of the drip irrigation line for the hāpuʻu, but leaving the last part undone until it was planted. So that's what I did today. I ran the line along his fence, then at the base of the wall to the front gate. He said that gate is jammed so he only uses the side gate. We put the hāpuʻu by the gate and I hooked up a temporary system to water it so that he won't have to worry about watering it while waiting for it to be planted; it's doing well, it has a new frond growing. I forgot to take photos; I'll try to get some later.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Lisa!

No comments:

Post a Comment