Wednesday, March 25, 2020

E holoi lima 'oe!

Translation: Eh you, go wash your hands! Today's ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi Papa was all on-line because of the shelter-in-place mndate to flatten the COVID-19 curve. All University of Hawaiʻi classes have now been moved on-line. Kumu Paige and Kumu Ākea try to make the classes fun; today they taught us how to say several key social distancing phrases. Here are some of the other phrases we learned today.




It was lightly drizzling at home as I left for my sunrise walk; on the way up the rain cloud passed and my walk started out dry. I saw The Runner on my way up as well as when I was walking; she was the only regular that I saw. When I passed The Surfer's house I saw that his surfboard was loaded up & he was getting ready to go surfing. As I left I saw The Surfer starting up his truck.
Twenty-one minutes before sunrise at home.
Seventeen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Seven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eleven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
I think those HECO trucks the other week were running power out to this new house.

The hāpuʻu looks like it is doing well. My current plan is to be on the Big Island for 2 weeks, but if things get really bad here I will extend my stay; I left the irrigation repair kit with Kelly so he could take care of it while I am gone.

There are 5 new fronds that I can see forming.

It began to rain just after I passed The Surfer's house. Even though it had been drizzling on and off over the last few days, I could see the petroleum products on the roadway being washed downslope. When it slowed down I resumed walking, when I got back to the car it started raining again!
Raining again. Aue!

The "first" flush.
Back at the car.

I saw the Saffron Finch trying to fight with its reflection in the mirror again. I also saw a flattened ʻEhakō; haven't seen a flattened one in a while.
Saffron Finch.
ʻEhakō (Spotted Dove).

Right after lunch I got a robocall informing me that my 10 am flight had been cancelled and I was rescheduled to a 1:30 pm flight. But a minute or so later I got an e-mail saying my 1:30 pm flight was changed and I was now on the 10 am flight! Aue! I tried calling but the phone tree recording said wait times were over an hour and if I wanted an answer by text it would be faster; so I opted to do that. I immediately got an automated text telling me to cancel my reservation on-line and if that took care of my concern to let them know so they did not need to respond; I told them I still needed help. After 5 hours of waiting for a response and getting none, I called back and decided to stay on the phone until I got a real person; it took 2&1/2 hours! But I did find out that my 10 am flight was still as scheduled; it was the return flight that was changed but the robocall was so garbled I didn't get that part of the message.

Mike from H & R Block called as I was just starting the ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi class today, Dadʻs taxes were ready for signing; mine still needed more information from Harold. Since Mike didn't get the information today he will have to finish my taxes by the end of the month and I will have to come and get them when they open up again in May; its part of their effort to help flatten the curve. In the meanwhile, they have someone at the door allowing only one customer in at a time to pick up or drop off papers.

After I picked up Dad's tax return, I called Aloha Salads and ordered my last Kamuela Cobb until I return. This time they forgot to charge me for the extra bacon; when I pointed it out they said to forget about it. Today I only saw a pigeon walking around in the mall.



Niece Sarah got the survival kit today; she sent a selfie with the goodies. She said, "Yay! All the yummiest things! Going to make butter mochi for tonight's dessert 😋" About the voluntary quarantine they are undergoing, she said, "It's been a little funny, but mostly very doable. Grateful to have lots of private outdoor space so we can get outside and grateful to be able to do some work from home. Lots more time getting to make dinner and have time together as a family."


I spent part of the morning training Keala how to eat from the Wireless Whiskers when it is in the "Door Shut" position. It needs to be in the closed position to prevent Luna & S'mores from getting in to her food; their feeder is also in the closed position to meter out the food every 6 hours other wise they eat it all at one time.




We are now up to 96 cases with no mortalities; the one death reported earlier was an error. The mandatory 14-day quarantine for all people arriving from domestic and international flights starts at 12:01 am tomorrow; it does not affect inter-island flights.
The rest of the cases are non-residents.


So I have been listening to This Week in Virology; it is one of 13 podcasts available on MicrobeTV: Science Shows by Scientists. Some of the podcasts are weekly, some are monthly; I'm going to listen to at least one episode from each of them. Today I listened to the Immune podcast 23: How to Tell a Mouse From a Mouse; they talk about why there are differences in the highly inbred laboratory mice that are supposed to be genetically identical so that you can tell what's happening in your experiments. It was interesting but a little bit too specifically detailed for me. Tomorrow, though, I am planning on listening to This Week in Evolution's podcast about the evolution of the SARS-CoV-2 aka COVID-19. FYI TWiV's latest podcast is about attempts to flatten the COVID-19 curve.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Mrs. Moody who is 98 today! Hauʻoli lā Hānau also to Glenn, & Jose!

No comments:

Post a Comment