Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Lots of Rain Today

In fact, we have been having flood warnings for the past day or so. It was raining so hard today the cat run was even more flooded than yesterday. Luna was not amused.
Rain is being blown sideways.


Not going out there.

As I was on my way up to start my sunrise walk, I saw that the garage where the Prius is parked was open and someone was in there. I stopped and introduced myself to Jerry, the owner of the Prius. I had been wanting to talk to him because the Prius is parked outside when its plugged in to charge. And Iʻve seen it parked outside, charging when it had been raining. Jerry said in the year he's had the Prius, he has always charged it outside and had no problems with the rain. Jerry & I talked about a bunch of other things; he might end up with a couple of pigs in his back yard to root out the California grass that has taken over. 

During the drive up this morning, I saw LaVie on her way up Wilhelmina Rise. I spent so much time talking to Jerry, LaVie walked by on the circle, twice! Dean also walked by and Jerome drove by. I started my walk rather late because of talking with Jerry so I saw different people than I usually do. As I started around the circle I saw Wolf in the distance. I saw Rocco & Mei-mei with Omar on their way up Sierra; later I saw them headed up Matsonia as I was passing by on Lurline. I also saw Kavita coming up Sierra; shortly after that Jerry drove by in the Prius. I saw Chona near the end of their road with Mero & Rocky. As I was walking below the park, a truck stopped to let me cross; it was RN Fred! He was carpooling with RN Susan and CNA Suka! It was so good to see them!
Nine minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Sixty-three minutes after sunrise on Maunalani.
Eighty minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I saw more Kōlea this morning that have started to molt in to their breeding colors.



It was raining when I made a quick trip to H&R Block to drop off the tax paperwork for both Dad & me. I had an appointment with Michael for next Wednesday; but they moved me up to Monday evening. They are trying to get everyone who has an appointment done before the end of the month; they are planning on being closed for all of April.



The H&R Block office is in Kahala Mall where Grylt is located. Or was. I went to get lunch there; they have cauliflower rice and grilled vegetables that I really like; apparently the last Grylt in the state closed at the end of January. At the mall their location has now been taken over by Paniolos Hawaii. I went to Aloha Salads instead and got a Fresh Island Ahi Wrap. I overheard them telling a concerned kupuna since they prepare food to go they are going to stay open as long as possible. Between customers they sanitize the credit card technology used for payment as well as the pick up counter. I will stop by for dinner when I pick up the completed tax forms; and even though there were very few people the food court, I think I will put my order in on-line so I can reduce the time I spend in the area.
That's a closed Starbucks behind the sign.




While at the mall I also stopped by Whole Foods to pick up more shirataki noodles, but they were out of the regular shirataki noodles. I decided to try the tofu shirataki noodles; they have a few more carbs than the plain shirataki noodles. I also discovered that Whole Foods has its own brand of 'Parm Crisps' called Perfectly Crisp. And I saw evidence of more panic buying; I don't get it why people do that.

Looks like a lot of people are planning on making bread!

There are now 14 cases of COVID-19 here and the first case has been reported from Hawaiʻi Island. The 4 new ones announced today are all travel-related. Non-essential State workers are directed to stay home, State parks are going to be closed, and the State has requested bars and restaurants to close the sit-down portions of their establishments and limit their business to delivery and to-go orders. The State is asking for this to happen for a 15-day period in order to break the transmission of the virus and flatten the curve to be able to provide medical attention to the most critical patients. The State has also asked visitors to reschedule their visits and avoid this period.




I have decided to refrain from going to the YMCA for the next 15 days. But I will still go to the Big Island next week; I want to visit with Grey since I haven't seen him in over a decade. And also for the 2 week period there I am more socially distanced than I am here on O'ahu. And if I begin to experience symptoms I could extend my visit and keep myself isolated better than I could here,

I spent a little more time with the new cat today. I was able to examine her teeth today and I think she is a bit older than I originally thought. I also think she might be pregnant; her nipples are a little swollen. I'll find out for sure next Tuesday when I take her to the vet.

Hau'oli lā Hānau to Walt, Jed, Kerrie, & Joani!

No comments:

Post a Comment