Friday, March 6, 2020

First Workout Day

It was raining on and off while I was getting ready for my sunrise walk; it also drizzled on the way up. I decided to skip the outdoor walk and try out the treadmills at the YMCA. When I got to the Healthy Start Room, there were only 4 people there and no one was using the treadmills. I got on the closest one which turned out to be the one right under the air conditioner and next to the fan. Winner! There is a 30 minute workout limit with a 5 minute cool down & clean-up period on the 5 cardio machines which is close to what my normal walking routine would be.
Fifteen minutes before sunrise at home.
Seventeen minutes after sunrise; starting on the treadmill at 2.5 mph at 5% incline.
Doing the cool down at 1.5 mph and 0% incline.
Location, location, location!


After I finished on the treadmill, I started on the Chest Press machine. Just as I started Leslie, the YMCA staff person overseeing the gym this morning, came by and said I needed to raise the seat level. It turns out I was given the wrong information during my Guided Workout last week; Leslie was trained by the makers of the workout machines. She straightened out my form which will ensure that I am doing the moves in a safe manner. Leslie took me through the rest of the machines, she also helped me figure out how much weight I should start with for a light workout. She also said I should do a minimum of 15 reps to get a benefit from the activity.
Leslie demonstrates the position for the other leg muscle exercise.


On my way out, I stopped at the front desk to ask when I should be hearing from the personal trainer. While I was there Joan overheard me, she invited me to come to the Pain Management class that she was going to; so I did. I met Kimberley the instructor who is a physical therapist; I wanted to get some tips so I wouldn't tweak my old back injury. Kimberley did a lot of stretching with the 6 students, plus several balance and strengthening exercises. The students do as much as they can and Kimberley works with them to adjust the exercise to meet their abilities. The toughest thing was the side plank; I have never done one before but I did today! It was tough, a couple of the others could do it, too. In the end, Kimberley said I had good balance and strength and probably would not benefit much. She said the other students had been with her for about a year and have made a lot of progress though there is more they need to work on. It seems like a nice group but I think I'll pass on it, though I think I will add side planks to my individual work out.

An hour or so later I got a call from Dan; he oversees all the personal trainers. We talked about why I wanted to meet with a personal trainer and for how long. I told him I only wanted one session to have the personal trainer help me develop a training program for me to increase my upper body strength, keep my lower body toned, and learn how to dead lift without injuring myself.

While I was hanging the laundry I checked on the lemongrass starts; they're doing great! I also found 2 young ferns that are growing on an old hapuʻu stump.
Lemongrass.
Unknown fern #1.
Unknown fern #2.

I made another batch of Chocolate Chocolate Chip Macadamia Biscotti. I once again altered the recipe. For the cocoa powder I used 1/2 Keto Cacao Powder and 1/2 Cacao Powder. I also used SugarLeaf instead of Xylitol or Erythritol. And I reduced the amount of almond flour from 2 cups to 1 3/4 cups.
Biscotti loaf before baking.

I had the Realgood Sausage, Egg, & Cheddar sandwich for lunch. It was as good as the other one. But one thing I noticed about both of them is that they are a little saltier than usual.
Before.
After. You need to flip it during microwaving.
It was good!

I went through the pantry, sorting out supplies based on their carb level. I put the high carb things out on the snack table for The Roommates. I will try to incorporate the low carb things in to my dinner meals.
41 to 43g each.
Hash 33 g per serving, Manwich 8 g per serving but they say there's 6 servings in that can.
Sardines 2g.

I picked up a jar of ghee a couple days ago. I will be using it in my keto-friendly cooking.



I found a recipe for a new low carb pizza crust today. It looks like it is easier and faster to make than the Fat Head Pizza crust; it also has less dairy. I am hoping to try it out soon.

It rained on and off throughout the day. I ended up having to bring my laundry in and throw it in the dryer for a short time.


Late this afternoon it was confirmed that there is now a resident infected with COVID-19; it was inevitable. He was apparently infected on the previous cruise of the ship that is currently in quarantine in San Francisco. He flew back from Mexico, then later started showing symptoms, went to his doctor, was tested; the results came back today. He is currently in home quarantine.


Kai sent me info on the University of Virginia COVID-19 Surveillance Dashboard. It's pretty cool. When you click on the time series it visually shows the incidence of illness over time; it looks like time series of the spread of the invasive New Zealand mud snail through North America.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment