Wednesday, March 18, 2020

The Bronco Dude Departs

I gave The Bronco Dude a ride to the airport today; he was wearing a mask & gloves. He had originally planned on taking TheBus but I had offered and he decided to minimize further exposure & take the offer. He is still symptom-free. According to the virology podcast I have been listening to, 99% of people show symptoms within 14 days after exposure; it could be as little as 2 days, the median is 4.8 days (so you will hear people say 5 days). I am pretty confident he does not have it and if he did, it does not appear that he has given it to Curtis or me; we're both symptom-free. On another note, the traffic at the airport was reasonable! A lot fewer people going places or coming from places.


In fact, traffic all around was lighter than usual, though I think some of the lack of traffic in other areas is due to UH and many other schools being on Spring Break. I guess we will see what happens next week.
Getting on the H-1, eastbound.
Driving east on Harding; at this time of day its usually packed with cars.

On my drive up this morning I saw The Runner on her way back home; I also saw Calvin the Recycler collecting cans & bottles. As I finished up the circle during my sunrise walk, Jerry drove by as I was playing with Ink and talking to Tina, Massimo & Chloe Bacon were also there. Further down Sierra I saw Kathy on her way up. I also saw LaVie rushing to the bus stop; I later saw her on Lurline as she rode by & waved. As I was on Lurline I also saw Lena with the 3 fox terriers Poni, Keko, & Kala.
Twelve minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
One minute after sunrise on Maunalani.
Twenty-two minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I saw another Kōlea in breeding colors.


After dropping The Bronco Dude off at the airport I went to Don Quijote which is on the way back. Traffic their did not seem to be any different than usual. Inside the store was interesting, people wearing masks but not that many; I did see 2 people coughing who did not have masks on. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that it was only their allergies. Lines for checkout were crazy long, like at New Years, but people were staying 4 to 6 feet apart while in line and no one was trying to cut in at those large gaps! In the tourist souvenir section it was really quiet; usually its wall-to-wall people, especially Japanese tourists. Today it was almost deserted. I stopped by there to pick up treats for Kai and his housemates; they really liked the COVID-19 Survival Kit I sent earlier so I am putting another one together. I thought I would send some out to other ʻōhana as well.
I didn't have to wait for people to leave to take this photo!

While there I checked out their supply of shirataki noodles; they have several different brands & varieties and also have the tofu shirataki noodles in about 6 different flavors! It doesn't look like they will run out. There were very few shelves that had been emptied; perhaps the panic buying has subsided.

I also checked on the local coffee. I was able to find the small packages of 100% Kaʻu coffee as well as 100% Hamakua coffee. You can find 100% Kona at a lot of places but not these other two; I did not find any Maui Mokka here though. But I did find 100% Big Island Coffee and 100% Hawaiian Coffee. What that means is they threw the 3 types of coffee grown on the Big Island together for the one bag and for the other they added the coffees grown on Maui & Kauaʻi! It seems to me the people that would really appreciate small estate grown coffee would enjoy a single variety better than everything from the island or state all tossed together. But its probably cheaper to produce the stuff that's all thrown together.


Kai's not getting this until it goes on sale.
Tea choices for housemate Brianna.

While at Don Quijote I picked up a piece of Miso Salmon for lunch. It weighs out a 2 servings but I ate the whole thing! It was delicious!


Later I picked up The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes from work; today was his last day at the office. Tomorrow they start their on-line classes; he had to bring the printer home to do work so it would have been cumbersome to ride the bus with it. Besides, giving him a ride also decreased his exposure. While I was waiting for him I noticed the electric vehicle charging station in the building; it would cost $3/hour to charge plus your parking fee. I was unable to tell whether it was one of the fast charging stations that takes only about an hour to fully charge the battery or one of the slow ones like I have that has to be hooked up overnight.
It was lightly drizzling as I left the house.
It was lightly drizzling when we returned.

Speaking of COVID-19, we are now up to 16 positive cases. Exposure for all patients has been travel-related; the one that they thought was the first case of community transmission turned out not to be. All of the patient's large extended ʻōhana (about 25 people) were negative; so they are now saying her exposure was due to being a tour guide at a very popular tourist attraction. All other employees at Kualoa Ranch were tested the day after she was confirmed; I have not yet heard what those results were.

I did find out that DT has had a cold for about 5 days now. He has a cough, which is kind of normal with him because of his cat allergy. Yes, he is allergic to cats but he lets them sleep on his bed with him! Which is why I can't tell when he has a cold. So far he has no temperature or difficulty breathing so that's good.

Curtis canceled his Las Vegas trip that was scheduled for the end of April. Apparently more places in Las Vegas are closing. He plans to reschedule when things are better; he hopes to also take advantage of lower hotel rates as they try to entice people to come back! Airfare will also probably be cheaper.

The Friendly Tabby is adjusting nicely! I go in every morning and run the Cat Genie manually to get her used to the sound and motion while I am there; she has been using it from the first day. She is eating well from the Wireless Whiskers feeder; a couple more days and the AutoDiet Wizard will have figured out what her normal amount of food is. She is no longer hiding behind the washer & dryer; which is really good since I need to do a load of laundry. And Luna & S'mores are no longer interested in lurking outside the door of the utility room.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Patricia, Chris, Joe, Steve, & Kate!

No comments:

Post a Comment