Thursday, March 12, 2020

Life Goes On

As with other places, large gatherings are being cancelled to minimize the spread of COVID-19. Two cultural gatherings were cancelled today, the Merrie Monarch Festival and the Kamehameha Schools Song Contest. This is the first time the Merrie Monarch Festival has been cancelled in its 57 year history. This year was the 100th year of the Kamehameha Schools Song Contest; it was scheduled for next week. The school is trying to arrange another way for the classes to have the song competition in a manner that will keep the community safe.




The University of Hawai'i is also going to on-line classes. Things will go into effect after spring break next week and continue through April 13th for now. Saint Louis School is also going to on-line classes; DT says it will be a big impact on his band classes.

Two hundred and fifty hand sanitizer stations have been installed at the Daniel K. Inoyue International Airport. They have also ordered 12,000 units of sanitizer refills. Sanitizer stations have also been installed at the State Capital.




Here are the stats of what's happening here. Right now they have not yet gotten any test results back from the private labs so the infected numbers are low. Numbers are expected to rise.


There are 10 special clinics being set up around the state specific to address COVID-19. People will be restricted to their cars until an exam room is ready. Staff will be wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) when they interact with the patient. 



This morning on my drive up I saw The Runner on her way back down. I also saw Tina with Massimo, Ink, and Chloe Bacon as well as Steve and Laure with Champ & Molly. When I started my sunrise walk it was misting; not enough precip to get me really wet and stop my walk, but wet enough to be visible. During my walk I again saw Steve and Laure with Champ & Molly.
Six minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
The mist caused this stream of water running off the bus shelter.
Eleven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

The roofing project is continuing. More skip sheathing has been installed.



More work is going on at Wilts' house


When I got back to the car it was covered with droplets.


I got stuck behind the recycle pick-up truck on my way home. I also saw Kira & Bean, Steve, and Tina with Massimo, Ink, and Chloe Bacon as I was leaving.


I usually go to Kokua Market on Thursday; I also drop off 3 or 4 pomelo. Today I noticed a new sign at the hot bar. They also have hand sanitizer by the utensils and spray bottles at the checkout stand so they can disinfect the counters between customers.


The Bronco Dude is still feeling fine but he was running out of food so I did a grocery shopping run for him this afternoon. Among other things he wanted a couple of apples; Foodland had a display with 11 different varieties of apples!


It poured this afternoon! Apparently we are in the beginning of something called a Kona Low, which is bringing a lot of moisture. I made a special trip to pick up The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes; he usually takes the bus so he has to walk about a block to get home. He would have gotten soaked!


I had picked up a couple heads of broccoli at Kokua for dinner. I made them in the air fryer with olive oil, garlic salt, and turmeric. I also had the goulash.


Before it began to pour I heard a Kōlea and looked up to find it perched on top of the neighbor's roof. S'mores also heard it and was making little chirping sounds while she was focused on it.
It left so she's no longer interested in looking out the window.

During my sunrise I walk I saw The Popokilani Twin on the roof again. It must have a view of something she is interested in. Earlier I saw Yuki at Chipʻs house; I did not see any of Sherryʻs other cats.
The Popokilani Twin.
Yuki.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Jeff!

No comments:

Post a Comment