Sunday, March 1, 2020

Lots of Carbs in Menu 2

Next week is Menu 2; there are 5 menus that they rotate through. Today I researched all the lunches and alternate lunches for Menu 2 and found that many of the main courses have a lot of carbs, i.e., more than 10 grams (which is 40% of my daily carb allotment). It looks like I will have to bring meat bars on Monday, Saturday, and Sunday; I'm not here on Friday so Sesame chicken and its 30 g of carbs won't be an issue. Or I could try to see about doing the alternate meal on Monday and Sunday; Saturday's alternate meal is also over 10 g carbs.


Just after midnight it began to rain really hard. So hard it woke me up again. I took a photo this time; you can see the raindrops refracting the lights.


It was very blustery and about 68 degrees F when I started my sunrise walk; it also tried to drizzle about half way through my walk. I saw Carlos & Duke down at the park and Lorraine below the park. The only others I saw were Cody & Rollie with Roger off in the distance on Sierra as I was finishing off my walk. I didn't see anyone during my cool down stretches.
Twenty-one minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Nine minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eight minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

The stairs at Wilts' house are looking better. And I got a better photo of the house on Lanipoko that shows a better view of the metal beams.
The new stairs at Wilts' house.
The beams visible along the west side of the house.

There are new tags for the 3rd floor bathroom keys; they look like they would be easier to forget in the bathroom. There are also new signs in the bathrooms that are more visible; the other signs were higher and in the middle of the door. The long-term plan is to change the door locks to those with a keypad and a separate lock that says "Occupied" when the bathroom is in use.
Can you find the key?

Dad was eating breakfast in bed. Sort of. He only ate the papaya; he didn't eat any of his fried egg sandwich or banana. He did, however, eat the Trader Joe's PB & J Bar that I offered him. He drank 240 ml cranberry juice and 120 ml water.

LPN Chivas stopped by to say, Hi!, as he was on his way out the door after finishing his night shift. He used to be one of Dad's regular CNA's; then he got his LPN and was occasionally Dad's nurse. At the beginning of the year he started working part-time during the night hours so that he could go back to school to get his RN. He said school has been going well; he said the only hard part is not getting enough sleep between school and work. It's nice that they work with staff here so that they can still get some work hours in while they are going to school.

It was very windy and I got chilled again. If I cut down the amount of time I do my cool down stretches I would probably stay warmer; but then I run the risk of cramping up. And I would rather deal with being a little cold than getting leg cramps! I can put on my flannel shirt & drink hot tea to warm up. And although I can work the cramp out, I don't like going through that short period of intense pain. Since pain is a secondary trigger for my fibromyalgia flare-ups, I like to minimize the pain incidents.


So when I practice ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi using DuoLingo on my phone I swipe to write words. I am trying to train my phone to recognize ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi including the diacritical marks. (DuoLingo tells me I spelled the word wrong if I leave the diacritical marks out; because it is wrong!) The phone is sort of learning, but sometimes there are funny autocorrects; like when I swiped for papahele (floor) it autocorrected to Palpatine! My sentence now reads, Aia ka mea pāʻani i ka Palpatine. The toy is on the Palpatine. 😂 (If it were made in to a Hawaiian word Palpatine would probably become Palapakini.)

Lunch today was Pork tofu, Steamed rice, Stir fry vegetables, Tossed salad, Caramel cheesecake, and Garden vegetable soup; my tray didn't have any stir fry veggies and I requested hot tea again. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich and 2 pieces of cheesecake. He drank 240 ml prune juice, 240 ml cranberry juice, and 120 ml water.


When I went in and when I left I saw the greeting sign. Neither Marissa or Kiʻini were here yesterday or today so there was no ʻŌlelo Hawaiʻi on either days.



After lunch I got a call from The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes; S'mores threw up 3 times in the morning. Then she threw up just before he called me and about 15 minutes after she had eaten a cat treat. Yesterday she ate almost 100% of her food; today when he called she had only eaten about 10% when she would have normally eaten about 75% of her food. Because she might have eaten something and had become impacted I left early and took them to the Veterinary Emergency & Referral Center to get her checked out. They gave her an anti-nausea medication and subcutaneous fluids to prevent dehydration from all the vomiting. We watch her for the next 24 hours; if the vomiting continues she needs to go back in to find out why.

I realized this morning that if it is too hot in the afternoon or too rainy at sunrise, I can go to the YMCA and use their treadmill to get my walking in! They allow each person to use the treadmill or exercise bike for 30 minutes with an additional 5 minute prep/clean-up time. Since I usually walk between 30 and 35 minutes it would work well for me. But now I will need to keep my member card in the car so I can go there on the spur of the moment. Yes, I can do the "forgot my card" sign-in but that just makes more work for staff so its better if I make sure my card is always handy.

I made a Pizza Topping Casserole this evening; I used one pound of turkey Italian sausage as the meat source. I also used sun-dried tomatoes and scallions as well as feta & Parmesan cheese. I had originally planned on air frying a head of cauliflower as well, but we got back so late from the vet I skipped that tonight; I hope to cook that tomorrow night.



Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Sally!

No comments:

Post a Comment