Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Low Carb Breakfast Sandwiches

Last week some time I saw an ad on TV for a pre-made breakfast "sandwich" that used frittatas instead of bread as the carrier. Since I really wasn't watching the TV, I only caught the tail end of the ad when they said something about it being low carb & I started paying attention. It's taken me a week to track down what they were talking about: the Jimmy Dean Delights Egg'wich. They have 3 varieties, all with either 6 or 7g carbs per serving. They vary between 17g to 21g fat per serving. I skipped the afternoon walk to go in search of the low carb breakfast sandwich! Per the website, I found them at the nearby Safeway. I bought one of the 3 varieties they carried; each 116g sandwich has 260 calories, 6g carbs, 14g protein, and 19g fat.


I also found another brand of low carb breakfast "sandwich" there; Realgood is made with "cauliflower cheesy bread". Each 106 g sandwich has 240 calories, 6g carbs, 16g protein, and 16g fat. After trying both brands I will decide which one I will begin keeping in the freezer as a convenience meal when it is too late to make a meal.


Jimmy Dean also makes something called Simple Scrambles which is like scrambled eggs in a cup. And like cup of noodles, you make it in the microwave. I was going to get a couple and see how they work as alternatives to meat bars on the days where the guest lunches have too many carbs; but I could not find them today. When I can I will use them in place of the meat bars and reserve the meat bars for times when I have no amenities.
(From Jimmy Dean website.)

On my drive up this morning I saw Paul & Bodhi headed down Sierra on their way back home. I also saw Mary heading down Lurline on her way home. During my sunrise walk I saw Lynette at the park; we stopped and talked. On my way up Lurline, I saw a woman sweeping up the driveway at the remodeled house in the sharp turn; I introduced myself and asked if she was OK with me stopping each morning to search for birds in the large Norfolk Island Pine across the street from her. Lisa said it was fine and wanted to know what I had seen; she was intrigued by the White Cockatoo. She said her husband had seen an owl previously but from her description it was the White Cockatoo. I told her the most common owl around here is the Barn Owl and I described it to her; then I did the same with the native Pueo which is rarely found in urban areas. While we were talking Lynette walked by.
Twenty-one minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Ten minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Thirteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

I didn't see any other regulars on the remainder of my walk or during my cool down stretches. But I did see the boom truck moving back to the upper parking lot. It looked like they had also loaded it up with more materials.
The roofers getting an early start on a nice day.
The boom truck starts to move to the upper parking lot.


The boom truck enters the upper parking lot.
The boom truck brings more roofing materials.

Up on the circle there were temporary no parking signs for tomorrow morning. It only covers a small section of the road in front of a couple of homes. I'll find out tomorrow what's happening. I also saw 2 cats on the circle; one was Nori, the other was a new, younger cat I have not seen before.
Something is going to be happening along here tomorrow.

Nori waits for breakfast.
Cat #18.

At the park I saw that someone was taking the name of this vacuum cleaner literally!


It looks like the metal I-beams at the Lanipoko house will be for a cantilevered deck off the west and south sides of the new house.


During my walk I saw the White Cockatoo again! This time I have a photo that shows it with its crest raised, but its still difficult to see the umbrella shape. I also saw a Saffron Finch down by the park.
The White Cockatoo with its crest raised.
Saffron Finch.

Dad was in bed eating breakfast when I arrived. He ate all his fried egg sandwich but that was it. They did not have papaya today so they substituted with honey dew melon which he does not like but he also did not eat the banana. He drank 240 ml orange juice but no water.

It was a nice day for my mid-morning walk, nice & sunny but with only a light breeze. But Dad was awake so I skipped the walk. When its sunny & he's awake I find myself adjusting the curtains a lot for him. It's a balance between him being able to see out the window but not have the sunlight directly on him (or parts of him under the covers) so he doesn't get too hot.


Lunch today was Fish nitsuke, Steamed rice, Steamed edamame, Namasu (12g 🙁), Cheesecake, and Miso soup. Although the nitsuke is higher in carbs than most of the other main lunch dishes, it was lower in carbs than the alternate meal (breaded pork cutlet, 13g) and I could also eat the edamame and miso soup. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich but no dessert. He drank 240 ml orange juice but no water.


The lemongrass starts looked very good this afternoon; they were watered early this morning by the sprinkler. The new sprouts that started off of each piece were perky and looking good. I think we will have a whole bunch of lemongrass in a few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment