Saturday, March 7, 2020

Survival Kit

I have put together another box to send to Kai: a COVID-19 Survival Kit! It has things to make home quarantine more pleasant! Not that he has to do any of that. If anyone is likely to be exposed, it is housemate Brianna who is a phlebotomist at a local clinic so she interacts with people with health issues on a daily basis. The rest of them are info tech nerds with limited contact with the public.

SPAM is essential in any survival kit!

I had trouble getting out of the car this morning; the wind was blowing so hard I had to push against the door with all my weight to open it. My walk was very gusty but cool; almost too cool. I saw Lorraine down by the park, then again on her way down Lurline; we were both trying not to get blown away! I also saw Ona jogging down Lurline on her way back home. The Surfer was on his way out ... to do some prone paddle boarding; its what he does when it's too windy to surf. While I was doing my cool down stretches Ken walked by all bundled up against the wind with Toto & Chico. I didn't see any cats today.
Eight minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Nine minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Here's a better view of the metal I-beams at the Lanipoko house.

When I passed Wilts' house I saw more details that had been completed yesterday. On the west side landscape stones had been installed for the transition between the driveway and the top landing for the stairs. On the east side a chain link fence had been installed and the slope was gravelled.




When I walked past the HECO project area I did not see any evidence of work. Everything is underground in the Maunalani Heights area of the hill; maybe they were pulling cable. Or perhaps they were changing light bulbs; how many HECO trucks ...


The roofers have finished putting the roofing paper over all of the roof of the kitchen wing on the side visible to me. They're not working today; I'm not sure if its because of the wind or that they don't work on Saturdays.

They have gotten all the way to the section over the main entrance.

A new sign showed up in the elevator today. It doesn't specifically say so, but it appears to be more specific to COVID-19 precautions.

Dad was eating breakfast in bed when I arrived. He finished all of his fried egg sandwich, papaya, and banana. He drank 240 ml orange juice but no water.

I skipped the mid-morning walk; it was still blowing pretty hard and Dad wanted to go upstairs to listen to the music. And I had not been able to warm up since my sunrise walk. I was also a little sore from yesterday's workout; I can feel the muscle groups I worked but its a good kind of sore. It's at the right level to let me know that I worked some muscle groups that I had not been doing much with before.

Lunch today was Pork yakisoba (52g), Seasoned broccoli florets (3g), Tossed salad (3g), Fresh pineapple (19g), and Potato chowder (20g). The alternate was Parmesan chicken (19g) and Brown rice; so I skipped lunch at Maunalani today. Since Dad was in his wheelchair, he ate in the Orchid Dining room on the 2nd floor; he shared a table with Mrs. Onoye and Mr. Shinagawa. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter& banana sandwich but not the pineapple. He drank 240 ml orange juice but no water.
He really is enjoying his peanut butter & banana sandwich in spite of the look he is giving me!

Since I couldn't get warm even with hot tea, I ended up going home after Dad returned to his bed after lunch. At home I warmed up a Jimmy Dean Delights Egg'wich. Like the others it was good; the only down side is that since the "bun" is a frittata it is more greasy than the cauliflower cheesy bread. After lunch I skipped going to the Y for the afternoon walk and bundled up and took a nap instead. I finally warmed up!



For dinner I made the No Carb Pizza Crust that I found on the KetoConnect website. It uses 10 oz of canned chicken as the main ingredient. I liked that it had less cheese since I am lactose intolerant, but the lower amount of fat did not sate my hunger; I ate the whole thing! With the Fat Head Pizza I can only eat a quarter at a time because it is so dense. I will have to consider adding more fat to the crust or the toppings. Other than that I liked it.
The crust before baking.
After baking.
Instead of pizza sauce I have been using bottled spaghetti sauce that we have a bunch of.
Chopped sun-dried tomatoes; there is the equivalent of 2 tomatoes here.
A cup of shaved mozzarella & provolone cheese.
One serving of pepperoni.
Those pepperonis shrank a bunch!
Looks like I need to get a silicone baking sheet, parchment can't stand up to the cutting required!

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Rachel & Christina!

No comments:

Post a Comment