Saturday, March 21, 2020

Weigh-In Today

I forgot to get my weight yesterday, so I did it this morning. I am 0.6 pounds heavier this week than I was 2 weeks ago.


It had been drizzling before I left the house. On the drive up it was dry; I saw The Runner going up the hill. During my sunrise walk I saw Ona jogging by, twice. I also saw PT Jason drive by. Near the end of my walk I saw Lorraine and Gerry in the distance on their way up Sierra. Near the entrance RN Ryan drove by. As I was leaving I saw both Lorraine and Gerry; I stopped briefly to talk to both of them. Later I saw Ona on the last lap of her jog for the week.
Precip at home twenty-four minutes before sunrise.
Eleven minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Seven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

On the circle I saw 3 cats in a stand off. Gizmo was lying in the middle of the road and Shiro was on the top of the wall at their house; The Alert Cat (#15) was sitting and watching them from a safe distance.
L to R: The Alert Cat, Shiro (on wall), & Gizmo.

I forgot to mention yesterday, I had  been going to the YMCA every Friday after my sunrise walk and had intended to make that time my gym time. But with the increasing number of COVID-19 cases on O'ahu I decided to skip it for now. A few years ago I had read about using household items as weights for working out; there are a lot of options at home. Plus there is also a stationary exercise bike that the nephews got from one of Curtis' friends. On the Big Island I have a treadmill and a trainer to turn my bicycle into an exercise bike; I initially got those because of the rainy weather in Washington and shipped them here with the rest of my household goods since North Kohala can also be a little wet.

I took a better photo today of the Neoregelia flowers.


My goal for today was to clean and organize the top shelf of the cabinet adjacent to the refrigerator. It holds mainly food items, except for Shelf #1 which is plastic bags, various food storage wraps, parchment paper, etc. Since I have been here I have organized Shelf #1 one other time and part of Shelf #3 one time. I also plan on updating the information sheets on the inside of the door.
Before.
Information sheets from 2016.
Shelf #1, Done!
I found this at the back of the shelf.
It's a hashi storage container.

The Friendly Tabby has completed the 3 day AutoDiet Wizard tracking period. It says she ate for an average of 16 minutes over that period; which is about 50% more than the other cats! I think that number was  skewed by yesterday's amount. I will be slowly backing her down to about 10 minutes, which is what Luna is at. Luna is bigger than the Friendly Tabby.

How can that small a cat can eat that much!

I also organized my keto-friendly shelf in the freezer. Each time I have gone to the co-op I pick up a keto-friendly item or 2 that is on sale or otherwise discounted. If it's freezable that's what I have been doing if I already have enough in the fridge to last me for the week. Like cheese. The blue cheese crumbles were 50% off since they were near their Best By date; I got 3 since I use one 4 ounce container per casserole. And when its melted in the casserole you can't tell it had been previously frozen. Many of my keto recipes use butter as a fat source so I pick that up, too. And salmon is a good protein source; I like the already frozen vacuum sealed pieces.
Before,
After.

I also culled some things off of the keto-friendly shelf because they weren't; they were holdovers from when it was the vegetarian shelf. I sent a text out to The Roommates letting them know they were welcomed to eat them. I put them on Freezer Shelf #5, the one below the keto-friendly shelf. They are now with the ice and Hot Pockets; it's a somewhat diverse shelf.
At 21 g carbs these are not keto-friendly!
Freezer Shelf #5.

While I was cleaning out the keto-friendly freezer shelf I also pulled out a Jimmy Dean Egg'wich for lunch. But I nuked it a little too long and the cheese melted all over the place instead of just getting unfrozen and warm.


We had been using disinfecting wipes to clean off the kitchen table because Luna & S'mores have not learned to stay off the counters. Because disinfecting wipes are no longer available I have switched to using a bleach solution. FYI Bleach has an expiration date and its only about a year long; after that its ability to disinfect is compromised. Check your bottle!

The COVID-19 cases have now reached 48, most on O'ahu. About 2200 people have been tested and about 265 random community surveillance tests were done (all negative). It is predicted that the increased testing will bump the number of cases up to 100's in the next 3 weeks. The Governor is instituting a mandatory 14-day quarantine on all people in to the state by any means; it starts on Thursday morning. It comes with a fine up to $5000 and a year in jail. I think he felt compelled to do it because tourists were ignoring signs saying parks were closed and residents were getting upset about it. There was a 1-day drive-through testing event today; the line was several blocks long. Every one in line was screened but only those who fit the criteria were actually swabbed; about 25%. What people don't seem to understand is that currently there are only a limited number of test kits available, only those really needing it are going to be tested. Right now trying to test everyone is unrealistic.




DT had a low grade fever this afternoon, 99.5 degrees F. He has had a cough for a few days now; it was hard for me to tell that this was a new cough since he is always coughing and blowing his nose because he is allergic to cats. He will be checking his temperature 2 times a day per CDC protocol; at a minimum, his paranoia made him test it every couple hours today. By this evening it had gone down to 99.3F. So far his cough is the main symptom; his lungs are feeling fine right now but he has asthma. I think I am the one with the healthiest lungs in this household; 2 of the roommates have asthma and the 3rd one smokes.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Tom, Laura, Pedro, & Jeannine!

2 comments:

  1. My doc says you dont necessarily have a fever with covid 19 or pneumonia. He may want to get tested. Stay away from each other!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because test kits are in short supply there are criteria one needs to meet in order to get tested; he does not fit those criteria.

      Delete