Sunday, March 8, 2020

Hauʻoli lā Hānau, Hāpuʻu!

Today is the 1 year anniversary of the planting of the hāpuʻu. It survived the hottest summer on record! I have now fulfilled my obligation to help it and the palapalai survive their 1st year. But I wonʻt be abandoning them just yet. As long as I am walking here I will check in on them and help Kelly if they have problems. I also got permission from him to harvest spores so that Justin & his students can propagate hāpuʻu! Cool!

The frond is looking well and is about to start unfurling.

It was not quite as windy this morning, just a gentle intermittent breeze. It was also relatively dry, so it was an excellent day for walking! But during my drive up fr my sunrise walk I saw no one. During my walk I saw LaVie; I asked her if she wanted a lemongrass start. I want to get the starts to other homes before they get really big. I also saw Lorraine; she did not want a lemongrass. I also saw Loy; I had not seen him for at least a week. He was carrying a mango that he found on his walk; he did not want a lemongrass either. He said he had been doing raw green smoothies more and cooking much less. Down by the park I saw Cody & Rollie with Roger; he said he would take a lemongrass! I figured between him and his 3 sisters one of them might like a plant!
Fourteen minutes before sunrise on Waiʻalae.
Five minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Twenty-seven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

As Lorraine was walking up to where I was coming down the hill near the park I saw a Saffron Finch on the mirror of a truck parked at the edge of the park; it was attacking its image in the mirror. Later it flew across the road and was joined by another Saffron Finch.


As I was going in to the building I noticed some concrete on the pavement; someone had grazed the corner of the ramp in to the physical therapy building. I also noticed someone had hit the tire stop in front of the covered viewpoint. I wonder if it was the big roofing boom truck? That's the only vehicle that I have seen that would find the area a tight fit.



Dad had already finished breakfast in bed when I arrived; the tray had already been picked up. Dad was sound asleep so I did not wake him to ask about breakfast.

Since Dad was sleeping so soundly, and the weather was relatively nice, I did the mid-morning walk. The only person I saw was Steve. Three times! I stopped by Suzetteʻs house to see if she would like a lemongrass start but she wasn't home. Since her car was there I think she might have been walking down to Waiʻalae, then back up again; she likes to do that every so often.


Lunch today was Chicken afritada (34g), Steamed rice, Tossed salad (3g), Assorted pies, and Thai chicken curry & rice soup (19g); I opted for the alternate meal of Teriyaki salmon (6g) and Vegetable of the day. When lunch arrived, however, it was the regular lunch with French onion soup (8g) instead of the Thai chicken curry & rice soup; I picked out the chunks of chicken and left the rest. Dad ate all his 1/2 peanut butter & banana sandwich, a slice of each apple pie and cherry pie. He drank 240 ml cranberry juice but no water.


I skipped the afternoon walk so I could run home and pick up the lemongrass starts. LaVie had texted earlier saying she wouldn't be home this afternoon, so just leave it by her gate. Roger & I agreed this morning that I would just leave it by his gate. I took the 3rd plant with me and stopped at Suzette's to see if she might like it and she did! I tried to take a photo but apparently my phone was not up to taking a photo.

I made a Pizza Topping Casserole for dinner tonight. I used a piece of frozen salmon and a can of clams from the pantry. I have decided to sort through the canned protein that we have and add things from the pantry to my casserole even though it might not usually be a pizza topping; like clams. I am also going through the freezer and using things up from there also.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau also to Dave, Alejandro, & Anastasia!

No comments:

Post a Comment