Saturday, December 15, 2018

Baking Night

I did a lot of baking tonight. Well, a lot for me. I started working on the whole wheat dinner rolls at about 6 pm. Then a little after 7 pm, when the rolls were on their first rise, I started the gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. I was done with both by about 10 pm. They're for a neighborhood dinner tomorrow night.
Fluffy Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls.
Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies.

I picked Barbara up at the bus stop on my way to Maunalani this morning; we passed Steph on her way back down from Maunalani Circle. Later I saw Lorraine twice, once when I was on the way down Sierra & then when I was on my way up Lurline. Towards the end of Lurline I met Adam & his toddler Kira. (Walking & "talking" with Kira was so much fun I forgot to get photos of them.)
Sunrise at Maunalani.
From Sierra Drive.
I think this is an agave, just not sure which one.

Dad was up and had breakfast in bed. He only drank all the supplements; drinking regular liquids without the straw seems to be working for him.

On my mid-morning walk I saw a bunch of people starting with LaVie on Maunalani Circle; we did the circle together then she trotted off down Sierra. There were 5 other people that we passed on the circle. I caught up with LaVie at the park and we walked up Lurline together; she introduced me to Jake, Adam's 13-year old yellow lab mix. LaVie stops & gives him treats every time she walks past his house. (He was so cute I forgot to get photos of him, too!)


Lunch today was Mushroom chicken, Steamed rice, Malibu blend veggies, Ambrosia, and Beef & rice soup. Dad ate a bite of his sandwich and drank about half of his supplements.


I found out that LPN Luz visited Kohala last year. She drove through Hāwī and Kapaʻau on her way to Pololū Valley. She thought it was very pretty and rural.

I called The Plant Place this morning and left a message asking whether they had hāpuʻu and if so how tall a trunk did they have. I got a call back, they do have hāpuʻu; the tallest is 4 feet! Yay! I will be going to check it out tomorrow. I forgot to ask about peʻahi and palapalai, Iʻll have to ask tomorrow when I am there.

During my afternoon walk I stopped to check the status of the ditch. It was damp and there was just barely a trickle along one side of the ditch. It has now been over 24 hours without rain and it still shows a trickle of water, though not enough to sustain any fish life. I also saw some Chlorophyllum molybdites coming up after the rains; these are the inedible ones with the green spores.

There/s just a tiny trickle along the let side of the ditch.
Young Chlorophyllum molybdites starting to sprout on Lurline.

While I was doing my cool down stretches I noticed that the landscape in the distance looked different. It took me a little bit but I finally figured out that some trees are missing; that white house is really visible now.
November 16th.
Today.

While I was getting chocolate chips for the cookies I also picked up some poi, poke, and roast pork (though not kalua pig) for dinner. I hesitated and ended up not buying the haupia, but I should have got some of that, too. I also bought some salad kits, though I didn't have any salad tonight; it was Hawaiian food night for me! The Roommates are not home tonight.

S'mores is with The Roommates, visiting overnight. So Chibi is having a stress-free evening. She has not come to look for me to rescue her from S'mores.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Linda, Stephanie, & Louis!

No comments:

Post a Comment