Sunday, December 30, 2018

Sirens Again

As I was finishing up my cool down stretches this morning I heard sirens coming up the hill. And I could see them, too; they were coming straight up Wilhelmina Rise. The firetruck & ambulance got there rather quickly. I talked to CNA Sharmayne in the parking lot. We found out it was someone in the Castle Wing who was needing assistance.
The emergency vehicles lights can be seen near the bottom of the photo by the roof.
The emergency vehicles at Maunalani.

In other sad news, Mr. Suzuki passed on Friday; I had gotten to know his daughter Susan and her husband Clem. When I came in just before dinner that day I noticed that his bed was empty and his name tag was no longer by the door. I asked one of the CNAs and she confirmed he had passed.

I started my morning walk a few minutes before sunrise. On the way up I had driven past Steph & Lorraine; I saw them on Maunalani Circle, then later near the bottom of Lurline. They had noticed that I was walking a little slower today than usual; I told them about doing the Checklist-a-day Challenge. I am getting better at entering the eBird data; I was able to do it while talking with Steph & Lorraine. I saw 11 species & 125 individuals on the morning walk. In the upper parking lot during my cool down stretches I saw 4 species & 39 individuals. I saw one of Paula's cats; she has 3 that are formerly feral.
Six minutes before sunrise.
One of Paula's formerly feral cats.

Dad only ate about 2 bites of his scrambled eggs but he drank all of his supplements. I have been writing down what he eats in the Journal. I have also been writing down when I refill the wipe warmer. I find data to be reassuring. I read an article about the benefits of journaling. I think my blogging is sort of like journaling, though I don't do it exactly as it is described in the article. Hopefully, I will still get the benefits. It's become sort of like walking to me; sometimes when I'm in the middle of writing it feels tedious, but it feels good after I've finished doing it.

Dad wanted to sleep after breakfast again, so I let him sleep while I did my mid-morning walk. Even though the sky was totally overcast I was having problems seeing the screen. It must be the orientation of the light rays hitting the screen, oh well; I'm getting better at entering the 4-letter quick entry code for each bird I have been seeing.

Not sure what plant this is from, I'll have to look for this one.

During my cool down stretches a Red-vented Bulbul almost immediately flew onto the 2nd floor landing; it looked like it had been chasing a moth on to the landing. I saw 2 species & 5 individuals.


As I made notes in Dad's journal I noticed that the inside covers had information on references. The front cover had internet references; the back cover was what I recall my notebooks having.
Inside front cover.

Lunch today was Baked glazed ham, Baked sweet potatoes, Steamed corn, Oatmeal cookies, and Minestrone Soup. My ham was chopped; I am hoping I did not get a resident's meal by accident and they got my unchopped meal. Dad ate just 1 piece of his sandwich and drank almost all of his Boost Plus supplement but hardly any of the Breeze.


During my afternoon walk it was somewhat overcast & gusty; I saw 9 species & 111 individuals. eBird has a section called Bird Academy. The eBird Essentials course is free but the others range from $29.99 to $239.99. eBird Essentials is a 3-hour course so I will have to set aside a block of time to get started with it.


I did some shopping after I left Maunalani. I had to get plastic table cloths, a pork butt, order the sushi, and salad fixings. I went to Ben Franklin to get the plastic table cloths, I opted to get a roll of plastic material because it was cheaper than buying separate table cloths. And since I intend to host the New Year's dinner annually it makes sense to get the roll. The rest of the things I got from Foodland.

One of The Roommates put up a sign on the back door to warn visitors about the cats.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Bria!

No comments:

Post a Comment