Thursday, December 27, 2018

Prepping for New Year's

The Roommates and I have been packing and cleaning in preparation for hosting the New Year's dinner. In December 2017 the entire living room was packed up because the old carpet was torn out and replaced with wood laminate flooring; we also had some things from Curtis' house while they did their remodel. Many of the boxes were put in the middle bedroom and remained there for the 2018 New Year's dinner. This year saw many changes: Dad moved to Maunalani, The Roommates moved in, I moved from the southwest bedroom to the northeast bedroom, 2 cats passed on and a new kitten arrived. The boxes remained and some were moved to the living room to host guests in the middle bedroom; others were filled with Mom & Dad's things. Now they all have to leave the living room to make room for tables, benches, & chairs for New Year's dinner. And then there's the dining room. Auwe!
West side of living room, looking good.
East side of living room, almost cleared out.
West side of dining room, a bunch more to do.
South side of dining room, even more sorting out to do here.

During my morning walk I saw Kathy, she collects plumerias from one of the trees on her walk. I didn't see anyone else; it was a very quiet morning. I saw another Northern Cardinal, this time on Sierra Drive near the park.
Sunrise at Maunalani.
From Sierra Drive.
Male Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis).

Dad had breakfast in bed; he ate about 1/4 of his scrambled eggs and none of the papaya. But he finished his supplements as usual. Dad has received 5 Christmas cards; they are from Aunty Daisy, Scott, & Wakana, the VA, the Maunalani staff, Curtis & his family in ugly sweaters, and Chris who comes with his collies to visit the residents.
From the Maunalani staff.

From the Veterans Administration.
Yes, this is the Ugly Sweater Contest photo.

My mid-morning walk was less muggy due to a light breeze, but it was hotter since there were very few clouds in the sky. I met Mike & Henry; Mike lives on the circle, he is dog-sitting Henry who lives on Mana Place.


Yesterday Gloria dropped off a journal to be used by visitors to leave notes for Dad and by Curtis & I to exchange notes when we change shifts. She also left a note for Dad when she left the journal.

Lunch today was Pork long squash, Steamed rice, Tossed salad, Sweet corn haupia, and Portuguese bean soup.


My afternoon walk was a little less muggy than the mid-morning walk, I thought perhaps the rains that they talked about on the news last night ere coming in; but it wasn't. It still dry; they're now saying it will come in tomorrow.


In preparation for the 2019 Checklist-a-day Challenge, when I walked today I said the names & numbers of each species of bird that I saw. I think doing this challenge will slow down my walking a little since I will need to enter the info into the eBird mobile app. (Which I have not yet installed since I am still trying to get the videos off my phone.) I think I will have to momentarily stop walking to enter the data. I wonder if it has that function where you can talk to the app to enter the data? I did find out that you can have it respond to Hawaiian names for the birds that have them!

After dinner I opened up my presents that were under the tree. Presents were from the Ikaika ʻOhana, The Roommates, Curtis & Lori & family, and Jenny.

Amanita muscaria themed napkins from the Ikaika ʻOhana.
From The Roommates.
From Jenny.
From Curtis & Lori & family.
An ʻIo t-shirt that was in the box.
This was also in the box.

I got a text from Mary Ellen tonight, "We're playing a game and waiting for someone to come back to the table. We started talking about you and what you would do seeing these birds on the tablecloth. :)" I replied, "Black-capped Chickadee." Then, "Is that what you thought I would do?" Her reply? "Absolutely." Hmmmm, I guess I'm a little predictable?
One of the birds on the tablecloth. (Photo by Mary Ellen)

Last night she sent me this photo and the message, "Hard thinking for Cranium. The guys ended up being one team. Amelia and I are the other team." I said I thought the 3 vs. 2 was unfair; she said, "Kai suggests Face Time so you can play." So we are now seriously considering my playing on one of the teams long distance some time in the future.
L to R: Emmanuel, Kai, & Michael. (Photo by Mary Ellen)

I got a text from The Roommates this afternoon, "We might possibly get another cat [sic] Around smorsie s [sic] age [sic] I think a little older [sic]" I went to bed before they got back.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Rosalinda & Evan!

No comments:

Post a Comment