Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Pīkake Terrace

Curtis had to give Lori a ride to work this morning since she had to drop her car off to be serviced. So we went to breakfast this morning, too. Over the weekend I had talked to Suzette, she was back at work at one of the hotels that had been on strike until last week and was telling me about all the improvements to the dining area. So that's where we went this morning, the Pīkake Terrace at the Princess Ka'iulani Hotel. Besides a breakfast buffet it also has a dinner buffet; kama'āina get 15% off and parking is validated for the 1st 4 hours. I tried the made-to-order omelet; you can add whatever amount of onions, Portuguese sausage, Spam, red bell peppers, tomatoes, or spinach as you want. Just before its done they will ask you if you want cheese in it also. I also got fruit and a bran muffin. Curtis got a bunch of meat, a little bit of fruit, and oatmeal with blueberries. We were seated in a different area than where Suzette worked so I went over to see her later; 7 of the 10 tables she is responsible for were full. In our area it looked like our waitperson only had 3 of his 10 tables occupied; he didn't seem to be as customer-oriented as Suzette, it took a while for him to come over to see if either of us wanted coffee.
Made-to-order omelet being made.
Curtis' breakfast. (Photo by Curtis)

After breakfast I hung up the laundry that I did last night, then I went up to Maunalani to do my mid-morning walk. I started about 15 minutes earlier than I usually do. I saw Tom, Mero, & Jellie sitting in the shade by the beginning of the Mau'umae Trail but no other regulars.


On the day that I am off in the morning, I do the banking and paying of the few bills that are not on autopay; I went straight to the bank & credit union after finishing my walk, then picked up a few items at Longs which is next to the credit union. After that I had a quick lunch of leftovers, then took in the laundry which was all dry after just a few hours in the sun & breeze. I spent a little time working with S'mores to get her to come when I snap my fingers, just like I had trained the other cats; she seems to be picking it up very quickly. Then I took my doctor-prescribed nap before I went back up to Maunalani. Yes, you read that correctly; as part of my fibromyalgia recovery, I was prescribed a daily nap, as needed. It could start no earlier than 4 hours after I got up in the morning, had to be no longer than 30 minutes, and had to end by 2 pm. In the beginning I didn't think I needed it but my manager told me to just leave every day at a regular time so they could train staff & the public to not expect me to be available at that time; when I did that & lay down I actually fell asleep! So I guess the doc knew what he was talking about!

On my drive to the bank & the credit union I passed 2 more of the artist-embellished traffic control boxes. I have seen at least one other while driving so I have not yet been able to get a photo of it.
'Ōhi'a lehua box at 4th & Harding.
Wave box at 6th & Harding.

During my afternoon walk it was fairly breezy so I stayed relatively comfortable. It looks like they are wrapping up the work on Sierra Drive and Maunalani Circle; I asked the Board of Water Supply inspector when they were going to start tearing up the pavement on Lurline. He said he thought the station marks were for the repaving work that is going to be done as soon as they are completely done with their work, not for any additional construction.
You can see some road work being down near the entrance.

I decided to have the guest dinner tonight; I have never requested a guest dinner before. If I end up doing evenings I will have to get them trained like they are for lunch; my guest dinner didn't arrive, CNA Philippa had to make a special trip to the kitchen to get one for me. The dinner tonight was Meatloaf & gravy, Mashed potatoes, Cucumber dill salad, Vanilla pudding, and Chicken & wild rice soup. Dad ate half of his 1/2 egg salad sandwich & drank all his supplements. I gave him the vanilla pudding, although he tasted it & said it was terrible he kept tasting it again. Maybe he forgot that he thought it tasted terrible?


Because I skipped the morning walk, I had only completed 3.18 miles and needed 2.32 more miles to make my 5.5 miles for the day. I decided to walk at least another 1.5 miles after I returned from Maunalani; if I had a safety vest with me I would have made another 1.6 mile lap up at Maunalani before I left but I didn't. I think I shall keep one in the car, may be 2, they would also be handy if I had car trouble at night. When I got home I did 1.33 miles, for a total of 4.51 miles today; about 1 mile short of my goal for each day this week. I saw Guy during my walk tonight.
It's about 0.1 mile for each "block" that I walk.

I saw some Christmas lights along the way. I think I will photograph a couple each night when I walk. Here are the first 2 houses.
This is actually 2 adjacent houses.
The Red Santa dances along the wall.

I forgot to mention on Saturday evening that Anita gave me a gift. It is a bunch of small candies that look like cats, she picked them up in Japan! Kawaii desu ne!
The cat details are actually printed on the wrappers; those clever Japanese!

I also forgot to mention on Sunday, Mr. Yamada's daughter Shirley gave Dad a little Christmas tree she made when she made one for her father. She also gave me one.

You may have noticed in this post that I have started using the kahakō, I was already using the 'okina. It was easy to figure out how to add the 'okina to words; the kahakō was a bit harder to do. I learned how to do it for the DuoLingo app where I am learning Hawaiian; if I don't use either of these diacritical marks, it tells me I have misspelled the word; this would also change the meaning. I will be adding diacritical marks to all my future posts. As it should be.

Happy Birthday to Jennifer & Dario!

No comments:

Post a Comment