Monday, December 31, 2018

New Year's Eve

This morning started out good but then got a little wet. There was no precip when I got out of the car or when I took the photo at 7 a.m. A short while later it started to drizzle; I saw Steph shortly after that. We talked for a short bit, then went our separate ways for about 5 seconds. Steph called me and said Lorraine was coming our way; we waited for her and the 3 of us walked together for a while. It poured a couple of times; we waited it out at the bus shelter and later on under a tree. We also checked out the ditch; it was running the fullest I have seen it but the entire channel was still not full.
Eight minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Selfie at the bus stop while waiting for the rain to stop. L to R: Lorraine, Steph, & me. I need a new hat!
Sunrise on Sierra from under the tree while waiting for the rain to stop.

I made another deposit to the karma bank. Today was gray bin pick up day; while it was drizzling I closed 9 gray bins that didn't close properly when after they were emptied and 1 green bin that had blown open.
Three open gray bins and 1 open green bins.

I think the rain and gusts made the birds seek shelter; I only saw 7 species and 41 individuals during my morning walk. During my cool down stretches I saw 6 species and 44 individuals, the ground and vegetation was wet but it was not actively drizzling & the gusts had died down. I changed one of my cool down stretches so I was facing the upper lot & could watch for birds; previously I would bend over and touch my toes to stretch my hamstrings.
My new view while I stretch my hamstrings.

Dad was sitting in bed with his breakfast; he hadn't touched a thing. I was immediately able to get him to eat a piece of papaya but that was it; he said he could feed himself. I made a chart in the Journal for us to keep track of his eating for the week.


Dad didn't want to get out of bed to do the Namaste massage this morning so I let him sleep while I did my mid-morning walk. My rash guard was still damp from the morning walk so it was a little cold putting it on; once I got out in to the sun with it everything changed. It took only abut 5 minutes for the sleeves to dry out; I made one lap of Maunalani Circle and they were dry! I was down my the park about 15 minutes later when I noticed that the main body of the rash guard was now also dry. I saw Leslie & Ipo just as they were getting back home from their walk. I also met Maisie & her dog Daisy; she is a very responsible owner. Daisy gets very excited to see people & other dogs; Maisie works with her to keep her attention focused on the walk rather than pulling & trying to run over to other people or dogs.


I checked the ditch twice today. Once on my morning walk when it was actively drizzling and then on my mid-morning walk after it had stopped raining.
During the precipitation event.
About 3 hours after precipitation event.

Susie made mandoo this morning for the cooking demonstration for the residents. They do this a couple times a month. Generally if I am walking by they pull me in and give me a sample also. It was very good.
L  to R: Seluvaia, Susie.

Lunch today was Seafood pasta primavera, Succotash, Garlic bread, Tossed salad, Chocolate pudding, and French onion soup. The soups here are interesting; sometimes they're good and sometimes they're not. And it isn't the type of soup either. I liked the French onion soup the last time but not this time; it needed salt. I am wondering whether they make 2 batches of soup, one with salt and the other without; sometimes they give me with salt, other times without salt? Dad ate half of his half a peanut butter & jelly sandwich for 25%; he didn't touch the chocolate pudding and drank only about 60 ml of the Boost Breeze.


My afternoon walk was dry but pleasantly breezy. Matthew drove by and waved; he was in a different vehicle than I have seen him in before. This is number 3. The first vehicle was a silver truck with racks. Then I saw him in a big, old, black station wagon. Today it was a small silver car. Just before I got back to Maunalani I saw a family of Red-crested Cardinals and a flock of Java Sparrows.

Red-crested Cardinals (Paroaria coronata).
Java Sparrows (Lonchura oryzyvora).

I did a little more shopping after I left Maunalani; yesterday I forgot to pick up more chocolate chips for the cookies.

For dinner I ate the entire Maple Bourbon Bacon chopped salad; the one that is supposed to be 3 servings. I also had 6 pieces of sushi. And guacamole and chips. It may not have been a balanced meal but it was tasty!


The Potential Most Favorite Roommate made a terrarium for a friend of his. He used succulents from his collection.

Chibi is not liking the liquid prednisolone that I have to give her orally every evening but she is liking the canned food that I have been feeding her. I am keeping her in my bedroom tonight since she identifies that as a safe place. S'mores is sleeping on the couch, oblivious to the fireworks. Luna is out of her carrier and pacing around the bathroom acting normal most of the time. If you try to pet her she gets hissy; so I am ignoring her. She is coming up to me and checking me out.  
Luna.

Later tonight Nikki and I are going up to Maunalani to watch the fireworks shows; there will be 3 that we can see from there. Two of the shows will be in the Waikīkī area, the third will be in Kāhala. If photos come out okay they will be in tomorrowʻs post.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Amy & Trevor da Mouse! Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo #35 to Terry & Pam!

No comments:

Post a Comment