Friday, December 21, 2018

Happy Winter Solstice!

The winter solstice happened today at 12:23 pm in Hawaiʻi or 22:23 UTC. I was up and out for my walk at my usual time. Sunrise was at 7:04 am with sunset at 5:54 pm. for a total of 10 hours 50 minutes of daylight here. And a lot happened in that time!
At 7:00 at the start of my walk.
Sunrise!

As I noted, I started my walk at the usual time; I crossed paths with Steph on Maunalani Circle so I walked with her back around the circle then down Lurline following her route (clockwise). I had wanted to see whether there was a difference in the route; there was. I like going counterclockwise (my usual route) better, mostly because towards the end I get a brief break from walking uphill near the bus stop at the top of Sierra where it is relatively flat for a block or so before I go uphill again to get into Maunalaniʻs parking lot. Going counterclockwise also allows me to walk in the concrete swale more when I am facing traffic; the footing is more even in the swale. I also have a better view of the tree fern so I can keep an eye on it. And I can see the sunrise from Sierra Drive much easier and lower on the horizon.
From Sierra about 30 minutes after sunrise.

After returning home and hanging the laundry out, I met Steph's daughter Lauren at Coffee Talk. I used that time to also get lunch since I wouldn't be at Maunalani for lunch. I tried their Ham, Broccoli, and Cheese Quiche with a Strawberry-Banana Smoothie; Lauren only had an iced tea. We spent a couple hours talking about plants, fish, field biology, different career paths, and a whole lot more. We had a great time! Part way through Steph stopped by after dropping their dog off for grooming.


Tea and quiche.

I also showed Lauren photos of the hāpuʻu that needs to be moved and the rest of the hapuʻu providing shade for the anthuriums. It was the hāpuʻu that was one of the reasons we got together.
Hāpuʻu in center background needs to be moved due to the room to be enlarged out to stakes. (Photo from 11/10/17)
Hāpuʻu to be moved to grassy opening to left and back of stake, near other hāpuʻu. (Photo from 11/10/17)

I merged my mid-morning and afternoon walks and went just before I relieved Curtis from Dad-duty. I started walking about 1:30, closer to midday than my other walks. It was a bit hotter but there was an almost constant light mist that helped keep me cool. I walked counterclockwise.


I avoided a big surprise today. As I was loading my backpack I noticed that one of my plastic water bottles that I put in the freezer had split open when it froze. If I had not noticed that I would have finished my walk and found a very wet backpack! Now I will have to find another bottle to use since I normally finish all the water in my metal water bottle as well as that in the frozen bottles.
Disaster avoided!

Curtis told me that Brittany the speech therapist came by to evaluate Dad. She had him eating and drinking liquids of different densities; he passed but she wants to have him do a swallowing test with barium so they can actually watch as the food goes down. It will have to be done at a hospital; Dad was all for it so weʻre moving forward on doing it. Her recommendations right now are to cut Dad's half sandwich in to 8 pieces (from 6) and to make Dad take smaller sips; she agrees with continuing the use of no straw and keeping his chin down when he swallows.

Dinner was Breaded pork chop, Brown rice, Key West vegetable mix, Blueberry pie, and Chicken noodle soup. Dad did a good job on eating all of his egg salad sandwich, which I had cut into 8 pieces. He only ate one bite of the blueberry pie.


Since I only did 2 walks during the day I decided to do a night time walk at Maunalani; I had the safety vest in the car. But it was drizzling so I skipped the walk because it was a little breezy; Iʻll have to also leave a light jacket in the car. I decided instead to drive down Lurline to check out the lighting; I already knew what the lighting was like on Sierra since I have driven down it a number of times.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Micah & Kulsoom!

No comments:

Post a Comment