Friday, December 14, 2018

Veterans Holiday Party

The Veterans Club at Maunalani had a holiday party this afternoon. entertainment included CNA Gloria doing a hula, a visit by 2 Hawaii National Guard Army Reserve members, some off key holiday karaoke, a raffle where all the veterans won something, and a toast by Curtis!
Dad watches as Gloria does the hula.
Dad singing Silent Night.
Curtis giving a toast honoring the veterans & current service members.

I was a little late for my morning walk so the sun was a little higher than yesterday. But it was still cool and still blustery. I saw Lorraine on my walk, twice. I also saw a bunch of bees harvesting nectar from the flowers of the succulent.
Sunrise at Maunalani.
From Sierra Drive.
There must be a lot of nectar here.

Dad was awake when I got back; he hadn't eaten anything. He ended up only drinking his supplements. Now that he is back on regular liquids he is drinking most of it; removing the straw and working with him to tuck his chin down when he swallows has significantly reduced the amount of times he ends up choking on whatever he drinks.

My mid-morning walk was nearly as cool as the morning walk. I checked on the ditch again; there was still water in the ditch but it was flowing very slowly. The wind was really blowing as I passed by the Norfolk Island pine that is right by the roadside; I have to pass under it every day and I always think about the widowmakers in Washington forests as I do so.

You can see it has already lost some branches.
I have no idea what this shrub is. The flower is a little over 6 inches across.

RN Sierra comes to give Dad his pills and eye drops a little before lunch. She also washes his eyelids to ease the build up of mucus. She has built up a good rapport with him.


Lunch today was Pork fried rice, Pacific vegetable mix, Tossed salad, Fresh strawberries, and Egg drop soup. Dad only ate a bite of his peanut butter & jelly sandwich and 2 slices of strawberry; he drank about half his supplements.


I cut the afternoon walk a little short; I skipped the lap around Maunalani Circle so I could end earlier and help get Dad to the Veterans holiday party.


I was really craving salad tonight; I ate the whole bag of Taylor Farms Broccoli Crunch! It says there are about 3&1/2 one cup servings per bag. Iʻm not really sure where theyʻre getting their info that people are only going to eat one cup of salad.


At my weigh-in this morning I surprised myself; I lost 0.7 pounds. I am now 112.0 pounds with about 19.6% body fat. While my percent body fat is within the normal for women, I would like to lose my abdominal fat. I think mine is more subcutaneous fat than visceral fat which is worse for your health. Whatever, I still want to get rid of it.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Richard!

No comments:

Post a Comment