Friday, January 25, 2019

Happy 69th Anniversary Maunalani!

Today was Maunalani's 69th Anniversary! There was a little celebration this afternoon. They introduced the administration team and also awarded staff that had perfect attendance or 1 day missed last year; there were 3 people including CNA Venus who is one of Dad's favorites. They also celebrated milestones that staff have reached; Dan from maintenance has been there 42 years, Cynthia from administration 30 years, CNA Venus 20 years, and I can't remember the rest of them. There were snacks after the event that were made by the kitchen staff plus items donated by the hospices that care for some of the residents.
The upper photo shows MNRC before the courtyard was built between the 2 buildings.
Bust of Ethelwyn Castle, who left the property to create Maunalani Nursing & Rehabilitation Center.
Dad lounges while waiting for the celebration to start.
CNA Chin played the Korean taiko drum to open the celebration.
L to R: Mr. Izon, Joe, Dad, Clyde, Mr. Kalaukoa, Mr. Watanabe, Anne, & Mrs. Watanabe.


My morning walk today was not as early as yesterday so I heard more birds and saw more activity. I gave Barbara a ride up from the bus stop, she was talking to Steph when I stopped; I did not see Steph later on my walk. But I did see Kavita.
Fifteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
One minute after sunrise on Sierra.

I also saw Kelly getting ready to go surfing again. I stopped to get the photo of the irrigation line and the hāpuʻu with the misters attached; I also threw the frisbee a little for Abby. I think the photos are a little blurred because of the low light; they would have been much better if I had taken the photos when I had finished the installation.
Even if this was in focus you wouldn't be able to see the irrigation line very easily; I try to make sure of that.
Temporary location of the hāpuʻu. A new frond has sprouted since it was bought.

Dad was having breakfast in bed but was asleep as usual. He did not eat any solids but drank about half of his supplements. Since he is maintaining his weight at the upper end of what they would like him to be at, we are not encouraging him to drink the supplements as much as we had been.

I took Chibi in to see Dr. Sylvester this morning. Her breathing was quieter when I got home; it was about 3 hours after she had the prednisolone & simbadol shots. Her breathing became noisier when I put her in the carrier; stress seems to make her breathe harder. Because she was not responding to the initial treatment Dr. Sylvester & Dr. North had more sections from the growth done. After consulting with 3 pathologists they concur that there is no cancerous growth but there is evidence of long term inflammation, the question is why did it flare up now & why is it not responding to the standard treatment for this condition. Dr. Sylvester kept Chibi during the day to give her subcutaneous fluids; her meds will remain the same for the time being.


I was able to get back in time to do my mid-morning walk. During the first half of my walk I heard sirens coming up the hill again. I was just coming to the park when they passed me. The ambulance came up Wilhelmina Rise, the firetruck came up Sierra; it was a ladder truck. I thought I would see them at Maunalani when I got back but I later saw the firetruck on Sierra a few houses down from Suzette's house; I did not see the ambulance at all.  
Ambulance coming up Wilhelmina Rise.
Ambulance going up Sierra Drive.
Firetruck going up Sierra Drive.
Firetruck parked at house just above park.

I found out what it is! The large flower is called Cup of Gold Vine, Golden Chalice Vine, Hawaiian Lily, or Solandra maxima. All the websites say it is a vine, one says it can be pruned to keep it short and shrubby; that's what I am seeing here.


Lunch today was Chili, Steamed rice, Cole slaw, Tossed salad, Cornbread, and Cream of broccoli soup. Dad ate about 1/4 of his 1/2 sandwich and drank about half of his supplements.


After the celebration I started my afternoon walk. It was drizzling when I started, the same as a few other walks I have done. The difference was that I was using the new hat, not my old Seattle Sombrero that is made for precipitation. I had to cut my walk short because the new hat is not water resistant, my head was getting very wet; it was almost like not having a hat on.

Looking down Maunalani Circle through the drizzle.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Donna!

No comments:

Post a Comment