Friday, January 18, 2019

Breakfast with Janet & Gustavo

I spent this morning in Ewa Beach with Janet & Gustavo, friends of mine from Washington. We started at Kountry Style Kitchen for breakfast; Janet & Gustavo had the Garden Omelette and I had the Adobo Fried Rice Omelette. They are here because Gustavo's team is playing in The Mayors Gold Cup. We spent an hour or so talking after breakfast; then we moved back to the house they are renting with another one of the players. We walked & talked on the beach and Janet went looking for beach glass until it was time for Gustavo to go to his soccer match.

Janet & Gustavo and their Garden Omelettes.
Adobo Fried Rice Omelette.
Janet looking for beach glass with Leahi in the background.

Just before we started breakfast, Dr. North from Veterinary Emergency + Referral Center (VERC) called. She said Chibi had a growth on her left laryngeal fold that appeared to be cancerous; she removed everything she saw & sent it to the lab. The results will be back next week so we will know what it was and discuss what the next step is. Chibi had recovered from the surgery fine so she was okayed to go home; I told them I would pick her up on the way back.


Once home Chibi decided to make sure S'mores & Luna knew it; she ate the leftovers in their bowls to show them who was boss! She would not eat her own food.


When I got back I took a nap! This sore throat & coughing so much is wearing me out. I got some throat lozenges this morning and they are helping with easing the rawness of my throat. But I'm still coughing every so often and that is tiring; I can't wait for this to be over.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to cousin Doreen, Andrea, Van, & Geoffrey!

Yesterday I started with a walk at Maunalani. I had a really good view of a White-rumped Shama and was able to take a fairly good photo of it. I also saw a Rosy Wolfsnail; it is a carnivorous snail that was imported in the 1950's to attack the African Giant Snail (Lissachatina fulica). Unfortunately it is an indiscriminate eater and also ate endangered Oʻahu land snails and wiped out 8 species.
Six minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Eleven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
White-rumped Shama (Copsychus malabaricus).
Rosy Wolfsnail (Euglandia rosea).

When The Potential Most Favorite Roommate went to go to work he found a ticket on his car; it was issued at 12:38 a.m. or just after midnight. It was for parking on an unimproved sidewalk; apparently an area resident complained about cars parked along the side of the road, everyone up and down the block on both sides had a ticket. We are figuring out a different parking pattern so that all the cars can park in the driveway so no one else gets a ticket.
It says, "Parking on unimproved sidewalk - complaint from resident in area".

I forgot to mention that I also picked up a White Tern (Gygis alba) chick when I went to pick up Elena; they came in on the same flight. Then we had to find raw smelt to feed the chick. FYI Don Quijote is the place to go for that!


I had baked a whole wheat pie crust before I left to pick Elena up, that way when I got back all I needed to do was pour the quiche ingredients in the shell and bake it. While waiting for the tern I got a photo and a text from DT that said, "I just got home and the oven is beeping...should I run?"
"Never mind I just pressed stop and it went away? [sic]"

About a half hour later I got a phone call from The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes; he wanted to know if there was another pie crust. It turns out one of the cats, I'm guessing it was Luna, jumped up on the stove and dropped the pie crust I had baked; between the 2 of them the cats ate about half of the pie crust. We're guessing that the F11 error was Luna's first try at getting the pie crust but DT interrupted her; so she tried later and was successful.

Our dinner was delayed but it gave us a chance to talk with Elena & find out more about her. Elena is from the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland; this is her first trip to any part of the United States. She spent 3 weeks on the Big Island, then she got stuck with me in Honolulu rush hour traffic; she likes the Big Island traffic better! She said Switzerland also has a high cost of living so she was not too surprised by the food prices here, except for the milk. She said the most expensive milk in Switzerland is about half the price of the milk here and is from cows up in the Alps that are grazing on flowers and has a good taste! She does not care for the taste of the milk here.

After dinner The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes and I went to VERC to visit Chibi; they kept her overnight to make sure she was doing well coming out of the anesthesia they used to do the biopsy. She was still a little out of it and having trouble standing by herself.

A belated Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Kathryn! And Belated Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanaʻo to Everett & Alyssa!

No comments:

Post a Comment