Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Remove and Replace

I finished the design to remove the invasive Australian tree fern (Cyathea cooperi) and replace it with a native hapuʻu (Cibotium glaucum). Since I can't replace the fern being removed with one of a similar size, I am proposing to include either 3 palapalai (Microlepia strigosa) or peʻahi (Microsorum spectrum) ferns around the base of the hapuʻu. I will also be installing a drip irrigation system to ensure that the hapuʻu is watered daily for a year to give it the best chance of getting re-established; I will also include lines to each of the other ferns being planted.

The tradewinds have died down; there is a front blocking them & directing them away from us. So in spite of the cooler morning air it was a little muggy on my walk this morning. I saw Steph on her way home as I was driving up. I ran in to Ken with Toto (father) & Chico (son); 2/3 of his dog family. Later I saw Kelly & a friend heading out to surf.
Five minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Thirteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

Dad was having breakfast in bed; he barely touched the solid food but finished almost all of the supplements. Curtis & I have noticed that he is spending more time in bed recently. He used to go to the Orchid Dining Room for breakfast more often before; he would also get out of bed for the Namaste massage, too. Now the only thing that seems to get him out of bed fairly consistently is going to see Lynn & Gloria play ukulele & sing on Monday afternoons.

When identifying birds there are times when all you can see is a silhouette. Sometimes you can tell what it is even with only that little information. Since I am repeatedly walking the same route I am familiar with what might be present in certain parts of my route, which makes it easier to figure out what something is when you only have a silhouette. A silhouette paired with hearing the call of a bird can give a positive identification. Here are 2 examples.
Kolea; the long legs and bill.
White-rumped Shama: the long tail. I also heard it calling.

As I was getting ready for my walk I ran in to Social Services Director Jon; we had a great conversation that started with tattoos and ended up on social justice. We also talked about health issues of indigenous peoples and how diet and culture can affect outcomes. It was great!

Because I spent so much time talking with Jon, skipped the circle and just went down to the park and came back up Lurline. Sad news, the last large swath of grass on my route was just finished being mowed as I went by; there is now no area for large flocks of Yellow-fronted Canaries or Common Waxbills to feed. This was the area that I saw yesterday that had nearly 100 birds feeding when I went by; they'll have to wait for things to grow back.


The new hat is making less noise as I use it more. One downside to this hat is that it is not machine washable according to the online info; the Seattle Sombrero is. I guess I will have to try hand washing it and see how it does with that. And I have to get another silk pakalana lei to make a hatband because I will keep the green hat for use when it is raining or when I go to Seattle!

Lunch today was Kalua pork with cabbage, Steamed rice, Tossed salad, Bread pudding, and Chicken gumbo soup. Dad just picked at his food and supplements today.


I also had a great conversation with RA Justine; she was born & raised here and recently returned after a couple of decades living in Washington. She said she was seeing a lot of different birds than she remembered from her childhood. I helped her identify one of the birds she had recently seen; it was the Kolea. I also briefly saw Angela, she said she saw an all red bird the other day; I'm pretty sure it's a male Northern Cardinal, I sent her a link.
Kolea.
Northern Cardinal.

There was still no breeze during my afternoon walk; coupled with the pavement heating up throughout the day, it was pretty hot! I think the birds felt it too; I didn't see or hear very many of them.


I had another bag of salad for dinner again; Maple Bourbon Bacon for a total of 525 calories. I also had poke and kalbi. Because of the upcoming Lunar New Year, and because Nikki will miss it, I picked up gau and Chinese pretzels for her to try before she leaves. Unfortunately the pretzels have egg in them, but she can eat the gau.
Culturally significant carbs are the reason I can't do a no carb or low carb diet.

CAUTION: ROACH PHOTO AT END OF POST. While I was getting ready for my afternoon walk I saw a roach in the bathroom. It was still alive but just barely.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Claire!

No comments:

Post a Comment