Saturday, January 26, 2019

It's Cold! It's Relative

We had a cold front move in last night; the drizzle yesterday afternoon was the leading edge of the front. The news said it would get down to the high 50's in Honolulu and high 40's on Kauaʻi last night; yes, I know its not like the -40's that the Midwest is supposed to be getting tonight. But the average minimum temperature in Honolulu at this time of the year is usually around 65 degrees F, so it's cold! I was warm & toasty sleeping in my leggings & sweatshirt; in Washington I used to sleep with the windows upon until it got down to 40F. This morning it was overcast and very blustery but dry. I picked Barbara up at the bus stop, she was very glad I did; she said it was very cold waiting there. Later I saw Steph & Lorraine on their way down Lurline. The birds didn't seem to mind the cooler, windy weather.
Nine minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Nine minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

This is a Red Junglefowl (Domestic type); that's what eBird calls it. They also list Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon), Muscovy Duck (Domestic type), Mallard (Domestic type), Helmeted Guineafowl (Domestic type), and Indian Peafowl (Domestic type - that's peacock to you non-birders). This is from the list for Hawaiʻi; I'm sure there are other birds on it for other areas.


Dad was asleep with his breakfast in bed. He drank about half of his supplements but didn't touch any of the solid food.

The weather was a little warmer at mid-morning for my walk. As I was going around the circle I was passed by a number of bikers going in either direction. As I was finishing that lap I saw all the bikers gathered at the intersection with Sierra; their were 16 of them.



As I was on my way in to Maunalani I noticed that another resident has passed, I saw her family in with her earlier in the day; now many were out in the hallway and the guys from the mortuary were their with their gurney. Maunalani had put a cart just outside the door with refreshments for the family while they were waiting with her. It was one of the residents I did not know since she never left her bed.

Since I had been out sick for so long, I tried to check in on the residents whom I know when I got back. I had not seen Mrs. Iseri in the halls and she was not at the anniversary celebration yesterday; I was concerned because she is a very social person. It turns out she is confined to bed with something that is contagious, there is a warning sign outside her room. All the other kupuna I visit with were accounted for.

Lunch today was Chicken florentine, Angel hair pasta, Steamed broccoli, Tossed salad, Pineapple cheesecake, and Tomato tortellini soup. Dad ate all of his 1/2 peanut butter & jelly sandwich, half of his pineapple cheesecake, and all of his Boost Plus supplement & half of the Boost Breeze.


The last walk was under sunny skies but there was a nice breeze so it was still fairly cool. I got some fairly good photos of a cattle egret. It was in front of Jake's house.

Cattle Egret.

Chibi's breathing this morning was the same as it had been; but when I got home it was better. I could still hear her through the closed door but not as clearly. I am hoping by the time I am done with the syringes they have given me her breathing will have shown a lot of improvement; I give her the last dose on Monday morning. We will re-evaluate how she is doing at that time. I have not been able to get her to eat yet; if her breathing is good they might use a feeding tube to get some food in to her to help with the healing.

Luna has been tiring S'mores out with all their playing throughout the day. So S'mores spends more time sleeping, which is very nice!


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Ann & Robin!

No comments:

Post a Comment