Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Huapala

I saw a guy at the house with the orange-flowered vine; so I asked him if he knew what it was. He didn't, but he knew the homeowners & had them come out to meet me. Ronnie & her husband, Douglas, said it was huapala and was planted by the previous owner. Ronnie grabbed her clippers and insisted I take a cutting; she & their pug Plumpy-Boo & I headed out front. After initially seeing the huapala, then noticing it in other areas, I suspected that it might be invasive. Even though it has a Hawaiian name it is an introduced species and is an invasive. So I won't be planting it at the house like I originally thought I might. Ronnie said if I wanted starts off of any other plants to just let her know! People here are very nice!
Huapala (Pyrostegia venusta).

This morning I did the whole loop that I normally do. It was still a little rough. I didn't see any regulars today; I'm not sure whether I'm on a different schedule or if they're on a different schedule. I saw a Red-Whiskered Bulbul on Lurline; this is the first time I have seen it at Maunalani while doing the eBird checklist.
Eight minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Twelve minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Red-whiskered Bulbul (Pycnonotus jocosus).

I headed to McKinley Car Wash as soon as I left Maunalani. It was so different than last Friday when I went to get my safety check at about the same time of day. Today I drove right in and almost up to the vacuum station. At the other end there was a very chill Zebra Dove; it was walking around right by the door, between the feet of people waiting for their cars!


As I was on the way home I got a text saying that Chibi's new antibiotic had arrived. The box contained gifts for the cats as well as any wine drinkers in the household; I'll have to see if Robert would like the voucher, no one drinks wine in this house.

I took Chibi in to the Veterinary Emergency + Referral Clinic. I tried to make an appointment to have the biopsy on her throat done but they were booked out to next week so the receptionist recommended I bring her in as an emergency since it involved her ability to breathe. She is there overnight; they expect she will be seen tomorrow.


Luna knows how to open cabinets so I have rubber bands holding the cabinets closed. She doesn't like that, she tried to chew one set of rubber bands off tonight but ended up just snapping the rubber bands.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Karena!

No comments:

Post a Comment