Monday, January 28, 2019

Morning on Maunalani

I was a little late getting up to Maunalani this morning; I dropped Chibi off at The Cat Clinic for them to coordinate her cremation. I started my walk 3 minutes after sunrise. The African Tulip Tree was partially in the sunlight and there were no birds on it; I am wondering if the nectar begins to evaporate when the sun comes up so the birds leave. The sky was overcast and there was a light but steady breeze. I saw the Dog Pack twice on Maunalani Circle, once just as I was pulling in, then later as they were on their 2nd lap. Later, as I was doing my cool down stretches, Suzette was walking by and came in to chat for a bit. She is off work for another couple of weeks as she gets therapy for her injured knee.
Three minutes after sunrise on Maunalani.
Nineteen minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

Dad was awake and eating when I got to his room. My slightly late start caused a chain reaction delay in my day; I hope to get back on track with the mid-morning walk. Dad ate a couple bites of papaya and scrambled egg. He drank all of his Plus and about half of his Breeze.

The wind picked up and it was very gusty during my mid-morning walk under partially cloudy skies. I think I saw less birds due to the strong gusts; there were less birds that I saw flying by. But I did get back on track with my timing. As I was passing the Mauʻumae trail head there was a couple and their 2 dogs just coming back; she was wearing a calf-length muʻumuʻu! I should have asked them about the quality of the trail out to the bench.


Lunch today was Baked furikake mahimahi, Wild rice pilaf, Steamed edamame, Tossed salad, Strawberry cloud cake, and Tomato basil soup.


I cut my afternoon walk a little shorter; I skipped the lap around Maunalani Circle and went down Wilhelmina Rise instead of around the park. I needed to make it faster because I had a periodontist appointment.


Dr. Ching had some good news and bad news for me; the lower back right corner tooth were doing better but the lower back left corner tooth was not. I was given 3 options of what to do next. 1) Continue with cleaning and inserting antibiotic chips below the gumline, which would likely be a lifetime thing. 2) Remove the tooth in question, then keep an eye on the upper tooth, which might also need to be removed if it begins to project down in to the open space. 3) Surgically open up the gum and do a major deep cleaning below the gumline, sew it back up, and see what happens. Oh and I guess, there is the No Action Alternative of do nothing. I have chosen option 3; its set for early March, after I return from my Seattle trip.


Dr. Ching's office is about half a block from Petco, so that's where I went when I was done with the check-up. I took all the food back that I had bought for Chibi; S'mores & Luna are still eating kitten food for at least another 6 months and they have not yet been started on any type of canned food so we don't know what they will like. Petco is great! They took back 2 batches of food I bought for Chibi and had the receipts for; they put the purchase price back on to my credit card. Then there was one batch that I could not find the receipt for; they gave me a store credit for those cans! I gave the Petco card with the $22.44 credit to The Roommates for S'mores and Luna.

Speaking of S'mores, here's what she looked like when I got home. So peaceful and angelic! Not! It has been really nice that Luna tires her out during the day so that she just sleeps for much longer than she did before Luna arrived.


The Potential Most Favorite Roommate made dinner tonight. But it was only him and me that made it to dinner at the usual time for dinner. DT had band practice and The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes was also going to be home late. Dinner tonight was corn chowder with grilled cheese sandwiches. Both were ono! And the chowder warmed me up!


I watched the Na Mele show on the educational station tonight; they featured the Lim family. They are from Kohala, I recognized a lot of the local places they showed. In fact, Minnie's Restaurant where I take Uncle Kazu for lunch, is operated by a Lim family member.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Dave, Jerry, Suzi, and Paul!

No comments:

Post a Comment