Sunday, January 20, 2019

Ken's Menagerie & Gardens

While I was doing my cool down stretches I saw Ken walking by on the road; I waved to him & he waved back. Earlier he had invited me to stop by his house to check out his yard. I decided to see if today was a good day for him; it was! He's got an amazing yard with all kinds of fruiting plants like coconut, mango, mountain apple, avocado, noni, papaya, banana, pineapple, and tangerine. Ken also raises some exotic birds for sale and koi; he gave me a tour of his pens for the birds. Ken also has a greenhouse for raising landscape plants and raised beds for gardening.
Ken with one of his exotic miniature chickens.
Golden pheasant.
Golden pheasant breeders.
Top: Java Sparrow. L to R: a Common Emerald Dove and 2 Diamond Doves.
Senegal Parrot Mr. Magic; he has gotten out 8 times and returned 8 times!
Red-rumped Parrots. These are not the same species as the ones I see flying around outside.
Greenhouse.

This morning was drier than yesterday but also a little warmer since there was no breeze today. I didn't see any of the regulars while walking today.
Nine minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Nine minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

OK. So I am officially bored. I spent a bunch of time training S'mores to ride on the Deebot. She will now stay on it as long as there are treats on it. I'll do this for at least one more day, then I will start with the intermittent rewards, like I did with intermittent treats for coming when I snapped my fingers. B. F. Skinner found that when rewards became intermittent the behavior became stronger; for example, slot machines! We'll see what happens with kittens & robot vacuums.  

Before I started with S'mores Deebot training, Luna jumped up on my lap. I think she was just trying to get away from the Deebot and was hoping I would keep her safe from the noisy machine.


My throat is less sore but I still have a nasty cough. I organized some financial stuff; I am finalizing the 2018 fiscal year spreadsheets for both Dad and myself. I only have about $2500 left to pay off the Subaru; I am contemplating paying it off so I can move it out of the "Debt" column and into the "Other Assets" column. Especially since I am going to increase my debt by drawing from my HELOC to pay for the solar photovoltaic panel installation; the next payment is due since they got the permit!

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Sheryl & Maki-san!

No comments:

Post a Comment