Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Hauʻoli Makahiki Hou!

Nikki & I went to Maunalani last night to watch the fireworks shows. Four were visible from there but we only saw 3 due to the timing; the nursing staff was cool with us going out to the 2nd floor landing to watch the fireworks. Some of the neighbors had their own shows going on with illegal aerial fireworks; since all but 1 of them were below MNRC the bursts were at about eye level for us. I'm having trouble downloading those photos, here's the best one of the few I could get off the phone.
The reddish explosions are the official show; the white one to the left is an illegal one.

During my morning walk I again saw Steph & Lorraine; we walked together again. The weather this time was much nicer; it only began to drizzle after I was at the covered viewpoint doing my cool down stretches.
Three minutes before sunrise.
From Sierra; looking over Lorraine at the sunrise.
It was drizzling so much you could barely see Lēʻahi.

I get a little cranky about people who don't know how to park. This person who comes to Maunalani insists on parking across 2 stalls. This is not the first time I have seen this car parked this way.
This driver is following the old lines which have been painted over with black paint and ignores the new white lines.

Dad was sitting in the Orchid Dining Room when I got in. He got creative with his breakfast; he made a sandwich out of his toast! He ended up eating about 25%, which included several bites of the the toast sandwich and eating almost all of a breakfast sausage.


My mid-morning walk was drier than the morning walk; also hotter since it was scattered clouds. The agave up on Maunalani Circle it about half done with flowering. While on the lower portion of Lurline I met a man who lost his cat last night; it was difficult for me to tell that's what happened since he was just walking & not calling for it. He said it doesn't have a collar & he's not sure if it has been microchipped; I wished him luck in finding his cat
.
Just before I left on my walk, Jody told me when I got done with my walk I should come in to the Castle Living Room because she was doing a cooking demonstration. So I did; it was yakisoba with kalua pork & cabbage. It was good!


I got Dad a new 2019 calendar for his room. He likes it!

Lunch today was Herbed pork loin, Fluffy rice, Cauliflower bake, Tossed salad, Fudge layer cake, and Potato bacon soup; I wasn't going to eat lunch today but things got a little confused. Dad's lunch didn't show up so RN Sarah went upstairs to get it; the kitchen gave her mine as well in spite of the message that said NO LUNCH TODAY. So I got to try the Fluffy rice and figure out how that is different than their Steamed rice. It's not.


I picked up my sushi order from Foodland; it looked beautiful.


For our family, for years Curtis & Lori would host Thanksgiving, Aunty Judy & Uncle Art would do Christmas, and Mom & Dad would do New Year's. I'm not sure when the New Year's dinner had shifted to Curtis & Lori's house but last year I started hosting it at Mom & Dad's house again. When I was putting together the slide show for Mom's memorial I saw year after year of photos taken at New Year's in Mom & Dad's house.

This morning Aunty Doris called; it was a pleasant surprise to hear her voice! Unfortunately she was calling from Queen's Hospital here in Honolulu; Uncle Tom was flown in last night from Hilo. And tonight I briefly talked to Kellie. We are waiting to see what the plan is but it seems likely that Kellie will be staying here with us beginning on the 3rd.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Judith, Mari, Linda, Carl, Wesley, Todd, & Judy!

No comments:

Post a Comment