Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Thelma's Restaurant

We have not been as consistent in going to Tuesday breakfast for a number of reasons; we went this morning. Because eastbound traffic was very bad we headed west and looked over our list of places to try. Thelma's was one we spotted while driving by a few months ago and it was 6 minutes away so we decided to take a chance on it. Curtis had the Thelma's Breakfast Special, I had the Eggplant Omelet with Tinapa & Garlic Fried Rice. They were excellent! We plan on checking out more Filipino breakfast places, like the Kambingan Restaurant a few doors down from Thelma's.
Thelma's Breakfast Special with lechon kawali
Eggplant Omelet with Tinapa, which looks like a halalū to me.


By the time I got to Maunalani, Dad only had his supplements and papaya in front of him. I have no idea how much of the eggs he ate this morning. He was also ready to take his nap between breakfast and lunch so I lowered the bed for him.

The mid-morning walk was my first walk of the day because I went out to breakfast instead of doing the morning walk. It was overcast and very windy; according to the forecast it will be windy for a few more days. I saw a lot of birds, especially Java Sparrows, sitting in trees & shrubs.

This is Kelly's gate; it is too bad it no longer opens. I like the aesthetic of this gate, I will be sad to see it go.

RN Sierra said Dad had difficulty swallowing his pills this morning so she crushed his ibuprofen and put it in chocolate pudding. He didn't have a problem swallowing it. She said she would make a note to give Dad his pills crushed in chocolate pudding until the results & recommendations come back from the swallow test on Thursday afternoon.

Lunch today was Cheeseburger on bun, Hawaiian coleslaw, Banana pudding, & Seafood chowder. We discussed how Dad was eating more when the sandwich was just cut in half and not in smaller pieces; it seems the fork was giving him problems. CNA Jessa will talk to RN Sierra about putting a note about changing his breakfast to a fried egg sandwich to see if he will eat more when it is presented that way.


Before I started my afternoon walk I went to the 2nd floor landing to see how bad the precipitation was; it looked kinda wet from Dad's room. It was wet, but I decided to change into my walking clothes and check it out as the time to start got closer. It was drizzling lightly when I started, but it quit after about 5 minutes. By the time I got down past the park, my shirt was dry again. But then it started to drizzle when I was at the farthest point on my walk and it never stopped; I got soaked. By the way, I threw my green Seattle Sombrero in the car after my aborted attempt to walk with the new hat; I used the green hat for walking today and it kept my head dry.
What things looked like at 2 p.m.
At 3 p.m.
Runoff on Lurline.
The ditch.
The green hat is soaked but it kept my head dry.
What it looked like at 3:40 p.m. There is less precipitation.

As I was driving to Curtis' house this morning the air in the car felt warmer than when I was walking to the car; it was. I keep the temperature in the car at 72 degrees F because this is the recommended temperature when transporting birds. The outside temperature was 70F. Later, when I returned home in the evening, it was even colder outside, it was down to 67 F; rarely are early evening temperatures cooler than early morning temperatures. That cold front is really messing up the weather here!



For dinner I heated up a nice big bowl of corn chowder; I'm glad The Potential Most Favorite Roommate made such a big batch of chowder so we have a lot of leftovers. Because I was a little damp from my walk I got a little chilled even though I changed out of my wet walking clothes before I ran errands. Salad would not have helped keep me warm tonight.
Oh, I had poke with my chowder.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to John, Maggie, & Kathy!

No comments:

Post a Comment