Monday, January 7, 2019

Black-crowned Night-Heron

Last week while I was doing my cool down stretches I had my binoculars and was checking out birds from the 3rd floor landing (the 2nd was fully occupied). Angela from food service was on her 'lunch' break out on the landing. She asked me about a bird she had seen near her house and said she had a photo of it. She sent it to me tonight and its a Black-crowned Night-Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax). 
Black-crowned Night-Heron. (Photo by Angela)

During my morning walk it was very still; there was no breeze today. Fortunately the air temperature was cooler; it was 69 degrees F when I started. I saw Mike & Dulci at the beginning of my walk around the circle and Ken & his 2 younger dogs at the end of my walk around the circle. Later I saw Gwen & Kea. She had a helpful suggestion about eating the main meal earlier in the day; I think I will try that & just do a 3-serving salad for dinner.
Six minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Twelve minutes after sunrise on Sierra.

Dad was asleep in front of his breakfast; it looked like he had only eaten a bite of his scrambled eggs. He ended up eating about half his papaya and a couple of bites of egg along with only about 60 ml of Plus; I gave him 25% for his efforts.

There was a very light breeze during some parts of my mid-morning walk. Which was helpful since the sun was out and there were scattered clouds so not much relief from the sun beating down. I saw a White-rumped Shama (Copsychus malabaricus) in the forested area of the park; I am getting better at recognizing its call. As I walked through the upper lot on my return, I saw that one of the cars was tagged with a note about employees not parking in this upper lot. During my cool down stretches I was intently searching for any larger than usual bird passing through the area but didn't see any.
White-rumped Shama.
Ooops! Caught!

Lunch today was Oriental shoyu chicken, Steamed rice, Malibu blend vegetables, Garden salad, Peanut butter bar, and Tomato red pepper bisque soup.


My afternoon walk was about the same as the mid-morning walk, not too hot and not too breezy. Just below the field at the park is a grassy area that usually has a lot of seed-eating birds; today I got a fairly good photo of a Yellow-fronted Canary (Crithagra mozambica).

Yellow-fronted Canary; note the "X" on the face.

I had salad for dinner. About 4 servings worth (that's what the bag says). That's 560 calories. The exchange with Gwen this morning was prompted by our sharing about the holidays; she was surprised that I gained weight even with all the walking. I told her my problem was eating at night. I started to curb that last week so when I weighed myself on Sunday I found I had lost 0.7 pounds! Yay! I need to keep that up, hopefully the salad regimen helps out. 
The bag is empty, I forgot to take a photo when it was full.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Ben & Bick!

No comments:

Post a Comment