Saturday, April 13, 2019

First Coat of Paint

Two new guys from Kolona were supposed to show up today to do the first coat of paint. When I returned from my walk I was surprised to find Noah and one new guy, Richard, here at 7:05; they're showing up earlier. Yesterday they had taken down all the plastic over the windows; I told Noah he could leave most of it up since we only opened the windows in some rooms. So they will only have to replace the plastic on the bedroom windows; we decided to alternate on which door we use to enter & exit depending on which one is taped off & being painted.
L to R: Noah & Richard masking the front door.
L to R: Richard, The Painter Who Shall Not Be Named, & Noah, painting the back bedroom wall.

Richard helped us with the door dilemma. He taped the frame of the security door that attaches to the building separate from the openable part of the security door so that it could be opened even when the plastic was over it! Yay, Richard!
Masked & ready for painting.
It opens!
Close-up of knob.

Just as they finished up this first coat of paint it began to drizzle. Then, like the night we were taking down the screens, there was a brief downpour.



This is what has been done today.
At 9 a.m.
At 4 p.m.

During my morning walk I didn't see any of the regulars. Sort of. I saw Ona & Rio as they went by when I was doing my cool down stretches and realized I had actually seen them in the distance while I was walking; Ona wasn't doing her usual Saturday morning jog & she usually doesn't have Rio on the weekend. I saw Ken, Steph, and Kavita as I was leaving Maunalani.
Seventeen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Sunrise on Sierra.

This morning I made another batch of macadamia biscotti from the Keto Sweet Treats book; I adjusted the recipe. I used 2 whole cups of superfine almond flour and 1 cup of confectioners Swerve; I also added 1/4 cup of cocoa powder to make it Chocolate Macadamia Biscotti! And I increased the 2nd baking temperature to 300 degrees F; the recipe says 250 F. I also cut it in to 16 pieces per the directions; yesterday I did 12 because 16 would have made them too thin to handle. It came out much better than the 1st batch, although 1 piece broke because it was thinner than yesterday.
Biscotti after first baking.
Biscotti cut in to 16 pieces.
Biscotti ready for the 2nd baking.
Biscotti after 2nd baking. Quick! Find the broken one!

For lunch I had the leftover quiche filling. Since I added cheese and smoked salmon bits it was like a crustless quiche. I do have a recipe for a Crustless Salmon Quiche from the Ditch the Carbs website. The Potential Most Favorite Roommate asked if that wouldn't just be a casserole; I think he's right! The definition for a quiche is basically an unsweetened custard pie with things in it. A casserole is basically food cooked and served in a casserole dish. Since I haven't been able to find a glass pie pan in the house I was going to use a casserole dish which I found instead, so I guess my Crustless Salmon Quiche will really be a salmon casserole. Or we could make up a word and call it a quicherole!


For dinner tonight The Potential Most Favorite Roommate left me some of the pupus he made for the party he went to tonight. He made Pizza Bites and Crab Wonton.
Pizza bites just out of the oven.
Clockwise from bottom: Mini-pizza, pizza bites, & crab wonton.

Because the painters need access to the bathroom, I need to be around most of the time they are here. At Curtis' house there was a portable toilet because there was so much construction work for such a long time so no one needed to be at home when all the work was being done outside. They left a little after 4 and will be back again tomorrow.

S'mores was very interested in what the painters were doing. She kept looking out the crack on the door, trying to see through the plastic covering the door.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Bobann, John D., & cousin Baron! And Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanao #45 to Mary Ellen & Michael!

No comments:

Post a Comment