Monday, April 15, 2019

Painting Break

Today was the final day of painting, or so I thought. I got back from my walk at 7:10, expecting to find at least one person there, but there was no one. About 9 I got a call from Nikki from Kolona, they had a bunch of people call in sick so aren't able to finish our job today. They will be here Wednesday to finish off the last 10%.

As part of my morning "ritual" I pick up the newspaper as I leave, otherwise I would usually run over it. This morning I did not see the paper as I walked out the door; usually that means it is under one of the cars. But not today, The Potential Most Favorite Roommateʻs car was parked across the street and half the garage was wide open. So I looked on top of my car.
Paper, paper, whereʻs the paper?
Oh, there it is.

My morning walk was very breezy but it was dry. I saw Lynnette and had a nice chat with her about my upcoming trip to Hawai'i Island. Since I am flying out this week and returning on the last night of the Merrie Monarch Festival I should have no crowded flights. I had wanted to watch Marissa dance but her group, Hula Hālau ʻO Kamuela, dances on Friday and Saturday night at 11:30 pm; a little late for me considering I have a 2 hour drive to get back home.
Thirteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Seven minutes after sunrise on Sierra.
Hāpuʻu getting an early morning misting.
Male Kōlea fattening up for his long flight to the Arctic.
Flattened cane toad; not sorry it happened to this invasive species.

My mid-morning walk felt good; I was able to do the whole walk without feeling like I had taken such a long break where I only did 1 walk a day! Because I had neglected to charge my phone while waiting for the painters it was at 10% when I started so I did not bird during this walk. But I didn't see anything interesting either. I saw Mike & Wilts up on the circle.


Lunch today was Seafood pasta, Garlic bread, Succotash, Green salad, cake, & French onion soup. I ate the seafood part and the garlic bread along with the soup and salad but skipped the pasta. I think I need to throw a meat bar in my backpack just in case I have a lunch where I need to avoid a lot of carbs, like today. Dad quickly ate his 1/2 peanut butter & jelly sandwich after complaining that he wasn't hungry.


During my afternoon walk there was still a very good breeze so it did not feel as hot as it might have been.


The hāpuʻu is doing good. During my morning walk it looked like some of the edges of the leaflets on the 2nd new frond were getting a little fried. But during my mid-morning walk I checked again & it looked better, though the older mature frond looked like it was getting sunburnt. (There were 2 mature fronds when I bought it.) I hope this is only happening because the 2 mature fronds were grown in more shade; I hope the new fronds are adapting to having less shade.
Sunburnt mature frond.
Second young frond with some brown edges.
Youngest frond still looking good.

For dinner I did my usual bag of salad but when I dumped this bag in to the bowl I found a lot of the cabbage was turning black on the edges. I tried a piece and it tasted terrible so I tossed it out; its expiration date is the 18th which is Thursday. I tried the Pineapple sausage, it was excellent!
My original dinner plan; I used the broccoli salad instead.
You can't see as much of the discolored cabbage in the photo as there really is.

This morning as I was putting my contacts in, Luna was playing with the toilet paper roll. I turned the roll around so that she couldn't unroll the whole thing. She apparently was not too happy with that; I returned home to find this.
Better than having the whole roll shredded all over the house!

We had been having trouble with one of the cats pooping and peeing outside of the Cat Genie. Today when I went to let them out of the utility room since the painters were not going to be here I found some poop outside the Cat Genie again! I had heard S'mores meowing about 10 minutes earlier but just thought she wanted to get out; I think she was trying to tell me she had to go but the Cat Genie was in the middle of a cleaning cycle so she couldn't. I'm not sure if she is too young to hold it or if, like a human child, she is too busy playing and waits until the last minute so then she can't hold it!


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Jim, RuthAlice, David, Linda, & Mackenzie!

No comments:

Post a Comment