Thursday, April 11, 2019

Prepping & Priming

Yesterday afternoon when William from Kolona dropped by to check out what needed to be done for the prep work he said they would be here at 7:30 and they were! He was joined by Jerry & Noah. William & I removed the last of the screens. Then they started scraping and cleaning the wood parts.
L to R: Jerry & Noah.

I did my morning walk as usual; but this morning it was really gusty. At one point I felt like I was going to be pushed backwards! I didn't see much of anyone today. Even though I cut my cool down stretches short, the guys from Kolona were at the house when I returned; they got there a couple minutes before I did.
Sixteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
One minute after sunrise on Sierra.

The 2nd frond of the hāpuʻu is starting to unfurl nicely! I am hoping the new position of the spray head will provide enough moisture for the developing leaflets so they donʻt burn up in the midday sun.


I decided to stick around for an hour or so to answer questions; in the meanwhile I organized the baking cabinet. Then Scott from Kolona showed up and had some questions. I decided I should stay a little bit longer so I skipped the mid-morning walk. I had found some old muffin mix while organizing; I remember Mom buying this around 2015. She wanted 6 bags; I baked 2 that trip and 2 at a later trip. These are the last 2 bags so I baked them. Each Banana Nut muffin has 22g carbs, 2g protein, & 3g fat. Each Blueberry muffin has 23g carbs, 1g protein, & 2.5g fat. I'm not eating any of these!
I got rid of the discolored muffin cups; I think they changed color since they are not acid-free paper.


It was a good thing I stayed longer. Before lunch Noah came to let me know that they would have to do another power wash and needed an out of the way place to store the primer & paint; we decided the back patio would do nicely.
William power washing the wall around the sliding door.
I thought it was cool that William was wearing a lavalava!
Paint chips from the eaves splattered the windows.
The eaves after power washing.
They also washed the garage floor again.

So I worked on a batch of low carb Macadamia Biscotti. There was a typo in the recipe; it called for 3/4 cup super-fine almond flour. I ended up having to use 1&3/4 cups of almond flour to be able to work the dough! While that was baking I worked with Jerry on getting the 2 windows that were stuck in the open position to work again so they didn't have to worry about getting water in the house while power washing.

Ready for the second baking. Even after twice as much time in the oven they did not harden up like regular biscotti.

For lunch I tried another one of the burritos I got from Kokua Market; the Red's Steak & Cheddar Burrito. Of the 3 burritos I have now tried, this one has the best flavor. It has 42g carbs with 3g dietary fiber, 15g protein, and 10g fat. So still very high on the carbs; for a ketogenic diet you are limited to 20g to 50g of carbs per day (individuals respond differently). I guess I should just eat a sausage!


Since I had already committed to making dinner tonight, I also ended up not going to Maunalani at all today. I also skipped my afternoon walk. Once again I made smoked salmon quiche. This time I used Yancey's Fancy Steakhouse Onion Cheddar along with the smoked salmon; by the way, it's Atlantic salmon. This time I remembered and used 2 whole eggs plus 2 egg yolks; it set up much better than the previous quiche. I also added some fresh basil from the back yard garden. I mixed the whites with the extra egg mixture, some cheese, salmon, cream, & basil and made a less fancy bowl of baked protein for a snack tomorrow.


Once again I have no photos of the quiche. Luna tried to get to the quiche 3 times, once she got really close but I prevailed!

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Aunty Florence & Eva May! And Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanao to Joan & Doug!

No comments:

Post a Comment