Friday, April 19, 2019

On the Way to KOA

Some of this blog was written while waiting for my flight to Kona; tomorrow is Gladys' memorial, then on Monday ProVision Solar starts installing the solar panels. The Potential Most Favorite Roommate dropped me off at the airport. And although the TSA line was long, it was about 50 feet shorter than the TSA line during my flight to Seattle in February. I turned my walking app on again to see how things would go this time; it was interesting. It took about 34 minutes to go 0.02 miles; 1:06 minutes of that was spent actively walking, the rest was standing still.
Not as long as the line when I was going to Seattle in February.

Going from the TSA checkpoint to the gate took about 2 minutes to go 0.06 miles. I reached the gate 20 minutes before it was due to start boarding.
The plane that took me to Kona.

I timed my flight so that I would be able to do my morning walk as well as be there while Dad was eating breakfast. During the walk I saw Romeo & Karpo but none of the other regulars. I didn't see any regulars while I was doing my cool down stretches either.
Five minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
Five minutes after sunrise on 'Sierra.
Flat rat.

But I did check out the hāpuʻu and palapalai; they're doing well. I hope nothing happens to them while I am gone.

Dad was just getting dressed when I arrived. He didn't want to get into the wheelchair this morning so he ate his breakfast in bed. He finished all of his fried egg sandwich but didn't touch his papaya or banana. He drank all of his apple juice.

Because we were leaving about noon, I skipped the mid-morning walk; I still had some last minute packing to do. I prepped 3 of the papayas to take with me; 2 were about the size of a baseball, the other was a normal Solo-papaya size. I also packed up the last 5 pieces of low-carb chocolate macadamia nut biscotti to take with me. The Potential Most Favorite Roommate gave me a ride to the airport on his way to work.
Papayas all ready for their trip to Kona!

Of course TSA checked my suitcase. I'm not sure if it was because of the papayas. Or perhaps it was the drawing equipment. Or the travel-sized water-pik. Or maybe the Oxo ergonomic ice cream scoop. I dunno.


For dinner I defrosted one of the packages of vinha dʻahlos that Jessie made last summer; it was vacuum sealed so it was not freezer burned. I had also bought some salad at Takata store, along with the salad dressing with the lowest carbs that I could find; 1 g carbs & 1 g protein.


I was impressed with Takata Store; they had super-fine almond flour, xylitol sweetener, stevia liquid sweetener, and a no-carb munchy called Parm Crisps; its made with cheese. Two years ago when I knew Sarah and David were going to be here, I looked for vegetarian and gluten-free things for them and found that Takata Store had a good selection. I think they have a good manager who is keeping up with things as they change.



I expected the Healthways II natural food store in Waimea to have almond flour, sugar alcohol sweeteners, and other low-carb/no-carb type things; and they did. They also had a larger variety of things than Takata Store, but thatʻs to be expected since they serve a much larger population and have a shorter transport distance. They have an interesting age for the senior discount, 59 or older; I asked why, but the cashier didn't know.









Iʻm having trouble downloading photos so I am cutting this post short since I need to get up early to head to Hilo. Iʻm picking Curtis up at the airport around 7:30 a.m., we're having breakfast, then going to Gladys' memorial. Tomorrow I will post about the clean-up I did this evening so that I could eat dinner and take a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment