Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Painting Begins ... Sort of

Earlier I was told that the painters would be here at 7:30 this morning. At 8 I got a call saying they would be here between 10 and 10:30. Winston & Richard from Kolona Painting & General Construction showed up at 10 but they weren't the painters; they were here to do the power washing. Because the house has not been painted since it was first built in 1971 it needed to have the old, oxidized paint removed, hence the power washing. And it will need priming, which will happen tomorrow. Then it will need 2 coats of paint.  
The compressor out in the cat run area.

I did my morning walk as usual. During my walk I saw Cody & Rollie as they were returning from their walk; Cody was ambivalent. Later I saw Lynette on Lurline. Towards the end of my walk I saw Lorraine in the distance, then Ona & Rio came around the corner in the opposite direction. During my cool down stretches I saw Steve and Ken go by.
Eighteen minutes before sunrise on Maunalani.
One minute before sunrise on Sierra.
Young cones forming on Norfolk Island Pine.

I was going to do my mid-morning walk since I thought I would be done with answering questions for the "painters" by then. But my mid-morning walk usually starts around 10 and ends around 11; exactly the time I was getting Winston & Richard started. Richard concentrated on power washing the house, while Winston worked on the garage floor; Blake was nice enough to do that for us (for a fee). They were done by about 1 pm.
Before.
Winston works on the grease spots with Simple Green and a broom.
The cat run after being power washed.

Since I was not at Maunalani for lunch, I raided the freezer. Last November I had bought a bunch of wraps & burritos from Kokua Market to help them out. I started with a Sweet Earth Get Cultured! Functional Breakfast Burrito. It's a vegan burrito. It tasted very good for not having any animal products. But it did have a lot of carbs, 41g for this 6 ounce (170g) burrito, with 8g being dietary fiber; I think that's because of the grains & beans used to provide the complete protein. It has 12g protein & 9 g of fat.


I was still hungry so I grabbed the next burrito in line; I had arranged them in the refrigerator by "Best by" dates. The next in line was a evol Cilantro Lime Chicken Burrito, with real meat! Surprisingly (to me) it had 46g of carbs in the 6 ounce (170g) burrito, with 15g protein and 10g fat. More carbs and way less taste than the vegan burrito!


I was going to do my afternoon walk, but decided to take a short nap before I left. That would also make my walk later so there would be less exposure to UV. I ended up taking a 90-minute nap! I slept through my alarm and ran out of time to do an afternoon walk. I guess I'm still needing a little more rest to recuperate.

I visited the neighbors on either side of us after dinner to let them know about the painting that will be going on over the next 3 working days; I got really different responses. The non-local neighbors would not open the door, they just peered through the window, and wanted to have the painters wait until there was absolutely no wind so no paint could be carried away from our house; not an option since the tradewinds blow most of the time. They said they would be informing their landlord of our painting project. The local neighbors, who own their house, were really low key about it and said, "No problem." Their house is a lot closer to our house than the other neighbor's.

After dinner we also took down the screens for the windows that are more difficult for me to do; The Roommates are taller than I am. We had 12 of the 14 screens down when it started to drizzle; before we got the last 2 down there was a brief downpour. We got a little wet, but it got done. We're ready for tomorrow!
DT helping remove screens.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Aarene & Anabel! And Hauʻoli lā Hoʻomanao #42 to Susie & Greg!

No comments:

Post a Comment