Monday, April 22, 2019

Solar Panel Installation Begins

Chris, Ron, and Nalu showed up this morning to start the installation of the solar photovoltaic panels. Since they were coming from Hilo, they arrive about 10:30; they're staying nearby overnight so they will start earlier tomorrow. After some discussion we figured out how everything will come together, including the small platform under the meter that has to be no more than 5'6" from the center of the meter. Zachary had originally said just put one stack of concrete blocks and that would be high enough, but I measured it today; I think it will need to be a little over 2 blocks high. I'll work on that tomorrow.
Ron (L) and Nalu start prepping the roof for the solar panels.
Nalu, seen from the kitchen window.
The solar panels and tools.
The rails that support the panels are almost done being installed.
By the end of the day all the panels were installed.

When they arrived Chris asked if there was a bathroom that they could use while they were here. I pointed out the one in the garage; then went to check if there was toilet paper. It was very dirty, so I switched gears and worked on cleaning that up for them. It will now be less for me to clean up for any visitors for Obon in a couple of months. Note to Tomiko: There are no spiders in it now! (But don't wait too long or they will move back in!) I lit a mosquito punk and have it in there to, hopefully, keep the no-see-ums away; they were happily feasting on me when I first started the clean-up but left me alone after I covered myself with insect repellent and got the punk going.
Before.
Before.
After.
Grandpa didn't have to add a window over the toilet but he did; it's got a great view!
The light for the toilet.

After that I vacuumed the rest of the floors in the house; it took me about half an hour. I hope I did not mess my back up too much; ever since I herniated the disc in my back I can only handle about 15 minutes of vacuuming without feeling the effects the next day. That is what is so annoying about it, I don't feel it when I am doing it but the next day it shows up and I can hardly move. We shall see. I also mopped all the remaining floors. So if the vacuuming didn't do it, the mopping might! It's that motion of extending the vacuum head or mop head that puts the stain on my low back, right where I herniated the disc many years ago.

Before the work crew arrived, I went in to town to run some errands. I also got wasp spray to kill the nest that is over the back stairs. On the way back I saw something crossing the road in the distance; it turned out to be a muscovy duck. It was much better than the turkey about crossing the road; it waited until after I had passed to cross.
He waited until I passed to complete his walk across the road.

I overslept this morning; got up just as the sun was rising so I missed my morning birding. So I birded when I went to the cemetery. Which is not as weird as it might sound; it is the place where I have most often seen the Iʻo. And it did not disappoint; I saw it just as I was getting ready to leave! all total I saw 6 species, the I'o was the only new species for the year.
Thirteen minutes after sunrise from my bed.
Twenty-nine minutes after sunrise from the kitchen.
My grandparents.
My great grandparents & grandaunt.

I stopped in at the police department and told the receptionist I was not sure about filing a report. She sent out Officer Shiroma; I explained about the mysterious Phantom Pruner. He thought it was weird, too! But he dropped by to check things out, he knows Jessie's brother Raymond.  I showed him where the bushes were, how low the calamansi was, and how far out the Meyer lemon came before the pruning occurred. He went to talk to the neighbors then left. He will be having them cruise by and check things out; he said if anyone sees anything suspicious to have them call the police department.

For dinner I took Alexis out to the Big Island Brewhaus in Waimea. Alexis had the Paniolo Burrito and I had the Grilled Big Island Steak. We started with Kung Pao Macadamias, which we finished off as our dessert!
It's a brew house; here's the beer board.
I did not know Waimea was that high!
Local & sustainable!
Kung Pao Macadamias.
Paniolo Burrito. (Photo by Alexis)
Inside the Paniolo Burrito. (Photo by Alexis)
Grilled Big Island Steak; it was excellent!

Alexis currently works at the Hawai'i Wildlife Center but will be leaving at the end of May. She and her Mom will drive back to New Hampshire where they are from. She will be trying to find a wildlife rehabilitation job nearer to home.

Being in to wildlife, Alexis & I both noticed the flocks of Cattle Egrets that were leaving the pastures and heading back to their night roosts as we drove through the Kohala Mountains. There was also a rainbow since there was a light drizzle going on.
Cattle Egrets heading home for the evening. (Photo by Alexis)
Evening rainbow over the Kohala Mountains. (Photo by Alexis)

I have decided to start using up the old teas. I checked out the teas in the tea box; these are individually wrapped tea in bags. I decided to start with the ones in plain paper wrappers; those are definitely not okay. They tasted like funny tasting hot water. I am moving on to the ones in slightly fancier paper wrappers tomorrow, they will probably be the same. 


While checking out the solar panel installation I noticed that Grandma's gardenia is really blooming! During my last trip I had noticed that it had more blossoms than before some of the competing bushes had been removed. But now it is really loaded!


I also noticed that there was no new pig poop. Just the old poop, now quickly decomposing.


Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Bill, Ken, Devin, & Aaliyah! This would have been Shiro & Momo's 18th birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment