Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Solar Panels, Day 2

Chris, Ron, & Nalu showed up around 10 today; there was another job they had to check before arriving here. At about noon they were joined by 2 other installers. They got almost everything done today but ran in to a big problem; the battery they were given to install was leaking. They'll be back again tomorrow.
I'm not sure who this was.
Yes! Let's do this!

Houston, one of the other electricians that showed up today, told me there was a slight problem with the main panel. He said when they opened it up to connect their supply line all the wires to the breakers was done wrong; the grounds and the neutrals were combined. He fixed all of those. He said the other problem was that there is supposed to be a clamp to keep the incoming wires from rubbing against the edge of the box and there was none. I contacted Chris so he can have the electrician that rewired the house come and fix it before the  County inspection.
Good.
Not so good.

For my walk this morning I went uphill. I initially decided to walk up to the road to the transfer station but I had reached half a mile before I got there. I turned around at the road sign warning that the road ahead was curvy. All total my walk was 1.65 miles, just like my usual walk at Maunalani. I didn't see any new species but I did see the Cattle Egrets heading back out to the pastures from their night roosts.

Nine minutes after sunrise on Kynnersley.
My view down the hill as I walked back to the house.
Approaching the curve just uphill from the house.
Looking upstream at the Kohala Ditch.
Looking downstream at the Kohala Ditch.
The source of my drinking water.

I met with Greg from Aikane in the morning. We walked through and discussed current and future work. I will be paying a lump sum to have materials for the anthurium bed rejuvenation purchased; then labor will be the only thing on the monthly charge. That way they can do both invasive and weed control as well as the bed rejuvenation & fruit tree training every month. 

I ran errands later in the afternoon, starting with a haircut by Petra. I stopped in at the Hawai'i Wildlife Center; I donated the carrier that I had here that I was going to take back to Honolulu but didn't have enough room in my suitcase last time. I no longer need that many carriers. Patrick showed me the current patients; they have a bunch of young Manu-o-Ku, a Sooty Petrel, 2 Red-footed Boobies, and 2 Nenes. And although they have a bunch of Manu-o-Ku at the Zoo, they have no intern since their housing through the Division of Fish and Wildlife is being renovated.

I tried to stop in to see Lem again; he wasn't home on Sunday when I checked. He was gone again so I texted Fran. It turns out he was visiting her, he would be back tonight. I will visit with him tomorrow.

I was feeling the effects of yesterday's clean-up work; I was stiff & sore when I woke up. I was also not too energetic so I concentrated on more cerebral rather than physical things today. To aid with putting things back in the cabinets, besides physically labeling the cabinets to help me visualize traffic flow, I also made tags to identify them for my organizing apps. Now I will be consistent when I refer to them. I also started entering the data so I will know what's available.





I also picked as many calamansi as I could reach without climbing on anything; I don't have a step ladder yet. I got about a half gallon; previously I could pick a gallon with very little effort. I washed and salted them; I try to make at least one batch a year. I packaged up the last of the ones I made in July 2017 to send off the friends and family that requested them; I can fit 20 in the small priority mailer box. Since I like to age them for at least a year, I won't have more available until after September.

Hauʻoli lā Hānau to Rite, Ryan, & Maya!

No comments:

Post a Comment