Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Back in the Saddle

I finally felt well enough this morning to go to Maunalani. But I'm all better now; though I had questioned my sanity when I first started my walk this morning. That first few hundred feet going up Maunalani Circle seemed really steep, but I kept going. I saw the pair of Kolea at the park again; I am pretty sure these are the ones I saw earlier since they are in the parking lot & along that edge of the field again.


Dad ate all his lunch today! Which means he ate 1/2 a peanut butter & jelly sandwich; he also had 3 bites of a red velvet cake. For lunch I had Korean BBQ chicken, Brown rice, Sesame broccoli, Garden salad, Red velvet cake, & New England clam chowder.
Dad finishing off his peanut butter & jelly sandwich.


I skipped my mid-morning walk today; Dad did not want to go to massage & I was still a little tired so I took a nap. But I did do my afternoon walk. I am working on doing 3.0 miles a day this week, with the 2 walks I did I covered only 2.38 miles today. I plan to do the full 3.0 miles tomorrow.

I picked up my replacement shirt from West Marine today. While there I checked out some of the other Columbia Sportswear PFG shirts as well as shorts; primarily to see what size I would need for the various styles of clothes. The Columbia Sportswear website has a sale going on and I needed some new shorts. I came here with 3 pairs of shorts; Mom gave me 2 more pairs. After Mom passed away I started to use 6 of her shorts. Because I have been losing weight I am now unable to keep those 6 pairs up, much like my original pair of long jeans. In addition, 2 pairs are getting loose enough that in a couple of weeks I may not be able to wear them either. So, even though I wanted to wait until I got near my target weight, I bought 3 new pairs at 55% off and free shipping! (Interestingly, the 3 pairs of shorts that I brought with me still fit well.) Hopefully, I can continue to use the new shorts at my target weight. (I selected styles with drawstrings.)

While I was sick & lying around in bed, I was thinking about how much percent body fat I am at now. I had my body fat calculated by the YMCA using the skinfold method when I weighed in at 90 pounds; they said I had 12% body fat. Doing the math that would mean I had about 10.8 pounds of body fat at that time. My back injury & the limited amount of physical activity due to fibromyalgia that caused me to gain weight occurred after that. Based on the following assumptions:
1) All my weight gain since I was 90# has been as fat;
2) None of my muscle mass since I was 90# has turned in to fat,
3) All my current weight loss has been of fat, and
4) My current weight is 111.8#.
That would mean I now have 32.6 pounds of body fat and am around 29% body fat. When I was at 12% I was told that women on average have 25 to 31% body fat; which means I am at the average right now. I was appalled when I 1st learned this statistic; I am still appalled. I felt strong & healthy when I was at 12%, right now at 29% I feel very sluggish. I must admit, when I was at 12%, my menstrual cycles were irregular and my doctor was surprised I was able to get pregnant; he allowed me to gain 55 pounds so that I would be able to carry to term & also breastfeed. (I retained 5 of those baby pounds which brought me up to 90 pounds, so I was probably below 12% when I started my pregnancy.)

On Saturday I had mentioned that there was a disturbance in the Eastern North Pacific that was predicted to have a 90% chance of becoming a tropical storm. Well it did, meet Tropical Storm Miriam! As you can see, this storm is not predicted to be anywhere near us; that's the way it is for most storms that develop in both the Eastern & Central North Pacific. This is due to the effect of the tradewinds and the shear; that's what kept Hurricane Lane from becoming a big disaster here.
cone graphic
2 p.m.

This is also Tropical Depression 16-E; that means it is the 16th depression that formed in the Eastern North Pacific region in 2018. It is predicted to have a 30% chance of reaching hurricane status winds in the next 5 days. You probably won't start hearing about either of these unless they cross the 140W Longitude, which is the eastern edge of the Central Pacific region that Hawai'i is in, and is predicted to come close to Hawai'i as a hurricane. (Or if they do something weird like head back to the west coast of Central or North America.) On a normal year, we will be dealing with these through the end of November.
cone graphic
3 p.m.

Happy Birthday to Arden! Happy 25th Anniversary to Sili & Taliga!

No comments:

Post a Comment