Saturday, August 4, 2018

Ke Au Hawai'i Festival

This evening The Roommates & I went to the Ke Au Hawai'i Festival, a cultural celebration for The Year of the Hawaiian. The Governor declared 2018 the "Year of the Hawaiian" and many events this year will "celebrate the vibrancy of Hawaiian culture, recognize pivotal events that altered the course of Hawai'i's history, and honor the advancements made by Native Hawaiians that continue to enrich the lives of all people of Hawai'i." We saw Sudden Rush, ate a bunch of ono food, & bought some ulu chips & local made jerky for snacks at home. I hope to be able to share our experiences as we attend more of these events.
(From keauhawaii.com)











One of the Ke Au Hawai'i events I would like to attend, but most likely will not be able to, is the Ho'oku'ikahi Establishment Day Hawaiian Cultural Festival that is held at the Pu'ukohola Heiau National Historic Site near Kawaihae; it will on August 18th & 19th this year. I get a very good feeling when I am there. Since Hawaiian is the other official language of the State, The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes & I are looking for a Hawaiian language class that we can attend together; The Potential Most Favorite Roommate has already taken Hawaiian language classes in college, we hope to be able to practice with him. It would be cool to conduct our household conversations in Hawaiian! Maybe Shiro & Chibi can also learn some Hawaiian.

Shortly after I started my walk this morning, one of the homeowners I saw asked me if I wanted some avocados. As he was handing me a couple avocados, Art said their tree occasionally has a bumper crop & this was one of those years; he said they are good tasting avocados. I put them in the bag I always carry in my fanny pack & he offered me more. I love avocados! I ended up carrying 5 avocados with me for the rest of my morning walk; it was a good workout. It was like I hadn't lost those 3.7 pounds last week! Perhaps I should be like Karen and carry weights in my hands so that my upper body gets a workout, too.
Art & this morning's harvest.

I didn't get to do the mid-morning walk; Dad decided he didn't want to wait for the Namaste massage. That was my fault; he was wide awake & active earlier than usual, so I got him out of bed. It was too early; he petered out just before it was time for the massage. He got back in his bed and went to sleep. I took a nap, too. I need to work out a schedule to slowly increase my walking time so I don't overdo it.

Lunch today was Chicken Florentine, Angel hair pasta, Lemon butter broccoli, Tossed salad, Pineapple cheesecake, & Tomato Florentine soup.


The azaleas outside the window are starting to bloom. The hedge doesn't have many blossoms, I think that's because of the trimming that is needed to keep it hedge-shaped, i.e., somewhat rectangular.


Happy Birthday to Mark, Sego, Hendra, Jerod, & Jessica!

No comments:

Post a Comment