Monday, August 20, 2018

The Kolea Are Back!

During my morning walk I saw 2 Kolea; one at the park and one at Maunalani on the lawn above the upper parking lot! I think the Kolea are back from Alaska! The one in the park didn't like to have it's photo taken; it flew to the top of the park building. I was able to get closer to the one at Maunalani; it knows that people in the parking lot are not a threat to its safety. There was also a chicken foraging on the upper lawn.
The Kolea at the park in the field.
Here's where the Kolea flew to when it thought I was too close to it.
The Kolea at the upper lawn at Maunalani.
The chicken at the upper lawn.

Dad ate 3 bites of his scrambled eggs with cheese and 2 pieces of papaya for breakfast this morning along with all of his supplements

During my mid-morning walk I again walked up the 1 block section of Wilhelmina Rise by the park; it seemed just a little bit less steep than yesterday. Perhaps by the end of the week I won't be feeling the steepness. I saw some interesting things on the walk up that steep hill; but perhaps that was because I was looking for things to take my mind off the steepness. 
Water connection; I didn't know that there was also a suction function available.
Looking at the siren from the downhill side.

Dad wouldn't get out of bed to go to the Namaste massage session, but he did get out of bed to sit on the 2nd floor lanai with me at lunch time. Lunch today was Kalua pork with cabbage, Steamed rice, Garden salad, Bread pudding, & Tomato red pepper bisque soup. Dad only drank about half of his supplements, he wouldn't even try the dessert.


After my afternoon walk I checked my mileage, 2.54 miles; which is 0.16 miles less than my goal of 2.7 miles per day this week. The walks I scheduled for this week were #1) starting from the upper lot, going around Maunalani Circle, down to the park & back; #2) starting from the lower lot, walking down to the park, then down along Sierra to the closest intersection with Wilhelmina, up Wilhelmina back to Sierra, then back to the lower lot; and #3) starting from the lower lot, walking down to the park & back. I think if I change the 2nd walk to starting from the upper lot instead of the lower lot, it will increase the distance just enough to get me to the 2.7 miles per day that I am aiming for. I think I may be revising several other walks on my schedule; I looked at my proposed list and some combinations appear to be infeasible or somewhat circuitous. And I saw a Kolea in the forested part of the park. And Common Waxbills on the upper lawn at Maunalani, they also knew they were safe from humans there.
The Kolea in the forested part of the park.
Common Waxbills on the upper lawn.

I took another photo of the shower tree flowers. This time I was a lot closer to the cluster of flowers. I have been thinking about how to paint the flowers in watercolors. I wish I had my supplies here so I could start experimenting with ways to recreate what I am seeing.


I am disappointed in the quality of my Columbia Sportswear PFG shirt; it has a hole near the right cuff. I've only had it for about 6 weeks and although I have worn it several times each week & washed it every week, it should not be falling apart after this short a period. I went to West Marine, where I ordered it through, to find out what to do about it.  Renee & Ailana ordered another one for me at no cost! It might be in by the end of the week! Yay, West Marine! And I didn't even have to take the receipt in because its all in their computer system because I am a West Advantage Silver Rewards customer.


On my way back home, I was following a car that had an interesting puppet in the back seat. Not sure what it was supposed to be but it looked very interesting.


Here's a photo of the pomelos that The Roommates harvested on Saturday.

Both Dad & I received a Jury Qualification Questionnaire for jury service in 2019. I filled out Dad's form and signed it as his Power of Attorney. He can claim an exemption under HRS Section 612-6 as, "a person eighty years of age or older." I may end up having to serve some time next year.

The Roommates decided to make banana bread tonight because we had a bunch of old bananas from Dad's breakfasts. It will be out of the oven after I post this.


Hurricane Lane has taken a slight turn & is now heading more northwesterly. It is still not forecast to make landfall; just skirting a little closer to the southerly shores of each of the islands. They'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it starts to make a more severe right turn like Iniki and hit one of the islands.
Forecasters are warning that the state could see impacts from Hurricane Lane later this week. (Image: Central Pacific Hurricane Center)

Happy Birthday to Mick! And Happy 6th Anniversary to Andreas & Amy!

No comments:

Post a Comment