Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Catching Up

It's been a couple days since I've posted, so this post will cover Sunday & Monday; later tonight I will do a separate post for what's happened today. I was coughing so much on Saturday and Sunday night I didn't sleep well & was tired the following days. We have a totally non-science-based term we use called "nursing home sick"; this is when you are sick but not sick enough that you would stay home from a job where you aren't around people (like in the middle of a wetland) but you are still a bit under the weather and you think you still might be a disease vector to kupuna (or others) with compromised immune systems. I was feeling nursing home sick so I stayed home; on Sunday I made myself an avocado & peanut butter sandwich for breakfast (which I ate at lunch time). Quick, easy, yummy!
Peanut butter & avocado sandwich with very dark chocolate shavings.

I slept most of the day or lay in bed listening to the Harry Dresden audiobook White Night, I only had a couple chapters to complete it. When that was done I listened to It's My Birthday Too and Heorot; they're in the Side Jobs  collection of Harry Dresden short stories.

Lori dropped Curtis off at the house in the afternoon; today was shower day for Dad. I took Curtis up to Maunalani & dropped him off so he could oversee that activity. Then I decided to do a short walk to get the blood in my legs back in to circulation; I was only going to go around Maunalani Circle. I was feeling so good by the time I got around to Sierra Drive I decided to go down to the park & back! Along the way I saw a Surinam cherry hedge; I had noticed it earlier & thought it looked like the acerola but had not stopped to check it out. Saturday I did and found both flowers and small green fruit. Later I picked Curtis up and took him to the airport for his trip to Las Vegas.
Surinam cherry (Eugenia uniflora).

On Saturday a package arrived from Patagonia; the outdoor gear company not the geographic region. I had ordered a new backpack since my old one was starting to tear at the internal divider between the small & large pocket areas; the rest of the backpack is in great condition. The new backpack is purple, not my preferred color, but it was about $50 cheaper than the blue one; when choosing color over savings I'll go with savings especially when its 50% off! The tracking texts said it was supposed to arrive on Monday so I was pleasantly surprised!



The new backpack has a 28 l capacity, "Main compartment features a padded and lined tablet sleeve and plenty of space for everything else ... Laptop pocket is padded and features separate access from the main compartment; fits most 15" laptops ... Stash pocket is perfect for sunglasses or small electronics ... Two large water-bottle pockets stretch to fit your favorite vessel ... Ultrasoft yet highly breathable mesh at back panel and shoulder harness" It is, "[m]ade from 630-denier 100% nylon (50% recycled/50% high-tenacity) plain weave; lined with 200-denier 100% recycled polyester. Both treated with a polyurethane coating and a DWR (durable water repellent) finish for water-resistance." It is also, "fit specifically for a woman with a modified harness and back panel for comfort" I'm not so sure about that last part, I think the harness on my old backpack was more comfortable because it spread the weight of the pack over a larger area; my old pack also has a hip belt to transfer the weight to the .pelvic girdle.

I heard some birds calling outside my bedroom window. I found out that there is a flock the Common Waxbills that come to the backyard to eat the grass seeds. I was able to get a better view of them than at the park since they weren't aware of me being so close to them. The window screen prevented me from getting a really clear photo of them.
Common waxbill (Estrilda astrild).

On Sunday I sauteed the old poke with some eggs to make an omelet. It was yummy but no photos. For dinner I heated up a very red hotdog that The Roommates brought home from a barbecue on Saturday & sliced up one of the windfall avocados.


I didn't do much else except start a new Harry Dresden audiobook, Small Favor.

I had mentioned on Friday that I got an email from Aikane Nursery that a tree had come down at the Kohala house; Greg sent me photos. It was a portion of the macadamia nut tree that broke off in the wind and rainstorm from the edges of the Hurricane Lane system.
Macadamia nut tree. (Photo by Greg)

Happy Belated Birthday to Vidya, Teena, Kyle & Deb! Happy Belated 50th Anniversary to Diann & Bob! Happy Belated 28th Anniversary to Lorna & Darrell!

No comments:

Post a Comment