Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Rainy Day

As I was on my way up to Maunalani this morning, it began to rain. It was lightly drizzling when I started my walk & continued on & off for the entire walk. Towards the end of my walk I caught up with LaVie; she was headed around Maunalani Circle so I joined her for my 2nd walk around the circle today. She was walking without Tazzi & Kila today; she broke her left arm a couple days ago when one of the dogs pulled her & she lost her balance. She was planning on going by bus to buy a case of water but I just couldn't see how she could safely do that with her broken arm. I gave her my phone number so she could call me for a ride.


I saw the Kolea at the park this morning. I think it might be getting used to seeing me there; it didn't fly away this morning. I also saw a Cattle Egret standing on the fence; I think this is the usual one that is at the park, it wasn't afraid of me either.
Kolea.
Cattle Egret.

During my mid-morning walk I saw a Cattle Egret right by the entrance to the lower parking lot. But I didn't see the Kolea at the park. I did see another Cattle Egret; it was on the lower side of the park. The walk up the 1 block stretch of Wilhelmina Rise was not any easier today but it didn't feel any harder either, so I guess that's some sort of progress!
Cattle Egret by entrance to Maunalani.
Cattle Egret at park.

Lunch today was Oriental shoyu chicken, Steamed rice, Malibu blend veggies, Tossed salad, Peanut butter bar, & Chicken gumbo soup. Dad only drank about half his supplements at lunch. For breakfast he ate 3 pieces of papaya and all his supplements.


During my midafternoon walk I didn't see any Kolea or egrets. Or any people with their dogs. LaVie had called me just before I started my walk; she said she would accept a ride to pick up some water in preparation for Hurricane Lane. I picked her up & we headed to Foodland; she had called & found they had water. We saw a trio of young ladies, discussing what other essentials they needed to survive the hurricane; their cart was full of chips, soda, candy, & other similar items. I picked up some of my own essential hurricane supplies.
Water at Foodland.
LaVie and her water.
My hurricane essentials!
Yum! If the power goes out, we're eating this first!

At Maunalani they have been preparing for Hurricane Lane; today they were opening up the slats of the roofing over the lanai.
Open roof awnings.

The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes wanted to get a battery or wind-up radio; he called around & found one at Don Quijote. I drove him there to get it; he also picked up other "essentials" for the hurricane. We briefly discussed going to McDonald's to pick up burgers that can last for months!
Sold Out.
Battery-operated radio.
Hurricane essentials picked up by The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes.

Hurricane Lane has decreased in speed so it is again a Category 4 storm; which still means wind speeds of up to 156 mph. (Category 5 on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale is 157 mph or higher.) Lane's predicted path seems to be moving a little farther away from the islands, but that's only a prediction. It could change course quickly & abruptly like Iniki did in 1992. Even if there was no direct hit, we will probably still have to deal with high winds so we're still making preparations. I showed The Roommates where the gas shutoff is & we talked about things that could become projectiles. I also moved the cat carriers in to the house & have been throwing cat treats in to them so Shiro & Chibi get comfortable with them again. The Roommate Who Likes to Wash Dishes' employer has closed their office on both Thursday and Friday; The Potential Most Favorite Roommate's employer is closing early on Thursday at 4:30 and all day Friday. We cleaned up some of the potential projectiles around the back yard; The Roommates will be checking around the front yard for other potential projectiles on Thursday. I plan to be up at Maunalani just in case Dad gets upset when things start happening; I would also be able to help staff afterwards since replacement staff would likely have a difficult time getting up to Maunalani if there is a lot of debris on the roads.
Here's the latest forecast track for Hurricane Lane as it marches toward the state. (Image: Central Pacific Hurricane Center)

Apparently some time today, NPR sent out a news story about Hurricane Lane. It said winds were 1655 mph! It was a typo.

Happy Birthday to George, John, Iris, Skip, & Soya!

No comments:

Post a Comment